Hornby Class 31 PCB - Help Needed Please

leopardml2341

Hi All,

Recently bought this (99p- ebay):

Image should be here - but for some reason is at bottom of post :-(

Hornby Class 31 PCB to use as an easy install for dcc into a Lima Class 31.

Trouble is I don't know the allocation/function of the pcb connections. Can any one help by filling in below please?

Left top to bottom:

1 -

2 -

3 - Track feed loco end 1

4 - Track feed loco end 1

5 -

6 -

Top Connection - Motor Brush Connection 1

Bottom Connection - Motor Brush Connection 2

Right top to bottom:

1 -

2 -

3 - Track feed loco end 2

4 - Track feed loco end 2

5 -

6 -

Thanks for any forthcoming help.

Andy

post-1525-0-84172600-1406828487.jpg

3 and 4 are the track feed connections.

The two at the sides are the brush feeds.

The rest are the LED lighting feeds and actual connections varied slightly depending on what version of the 31 was used as the lighting varied with those. When rewiring my Hornby model after swapping the crumbling chassis out, I made a diagram so I could get all the wires back in the right places. Mine was an original green one with disc headcode lights and tail lights, which left one of the terminals at each end unused - either 2 or 5 at each end but it will have to wait until I get home from work to confirm that.

3 and 4 are the track feed connections.

The two at the sides are the brush feeds.

The rest are the LED lighting feeds and actual connections varied slightly depending on what version of the 31 was used as the lighting varied with those. When rewiring my Hornby model after swapping the crumbling chassis out, I made a diagram so I could get all the wires back in the right places. Mine was an original green one with disc headcode lights and tail lights, which left one of the terminals at each end unused - either 2 or 5 at each end but it will have to wait until I get home from work to confirm that.

Thanks SR Man.

To confirm I have read your post correctly I have amended the OP (red text) with my understanding of 'wot you wrote'

I note your ".......I made a diagram so I could get all the wires back in the right places......." but unfortunately I don't have a Hornby Class 31 so I couldn't do that, I had hoped the info would be on a Hornby Service sheet - but seemingly not from what I can find.

Andy.

Yes, your amendments are correct. 

On my locomotive, terminals left 2 and right 5 in your post were left unconnected to anything.

I can only guess which wire did what for the remaining ones: terminals left 1 and right 6 went to the single contact on the cab bases.

Terminal left 5 crossed over to the outer cab contact while terminal left 6 crossed to the inner of the two cab floor contacts at that end.

Terminal right 1 went to the outer contact on the cab floor while right 2 went to the inner of the pair.

The wiring was coloured red for the terminals left 6 and right 1. 

I am guessing as I didn't analyse which one was doing what but I think that the single contact at each end (terminals left 1 and right 6) would be the common return while the rest fed the disc headcode and tail lights, hence the crossover at the left hand end.

My diagram shows the left as being number 1 end, i.e. the radiator end.

If you do get the LEDs crossed up, it shouldn't break anything, although if it is a Lima 31 it doesn't have lights to start with so you should be able to keep track of which wire is going where if you do choose to add lighting anyway.

I do hope this has been of some assistance, Andy. :)

Yes, your amendments are correct. 

On my locomotive, terminals left 2 and right 5 in your post were left unconnected to anything.

I can only guess which wire did what for the remaining ones: terminals left 1 and right 6 went to the single contact on the cab bases.

Terminal left 5 crossed over to the outer cab contact while terminal left 6 crossed to the inner of the two cab floor contacts at that end.

Terminal right 1 went to the outer contact on the cab floor while right 2 went to the inner of the pair.

The wiring was coloured red for the terminals left 6 and right 1. 

I am guessing as I didn't analyse which one was doing what but I think that the single contact at each end (terminals left 1 and right 6) would be the common return while the rest fed the disc headcode and tail lights, hence the crossover at the left hand end.

My diagram shows the left as being number 1 end, i.e. the radiator end.

If you do get the LEDs crossed up, it shouldn't break anything, although if it is a Lima 31 it doesn't have lights to start with so you should be able to keep track of which wire is going where if you do choose to add lighting anyway.

I do hope this has been of some assistance, Andy. :)

Certainly is, and thanks very much.

Archived