is it now time we got rtr track plant

Agree totally, I would love some OTP and associated machinery.

Bachmann have made a start, with the MPV and the Plasser tamper although this is a HO scale kit modified to UK RTR. Kibri also do some excellent OTP but not in 00 or the UK.

I asked Dave from DJ Models if there was a possibility of us seeing some OTP for the UK market, and he is of the opinion that while nobody currently makes any there just isn't enough of a market to design and develop these complex machines and get a return plus profit. While this is understandable for Dave as a new company, I do wonder if one of the elder brands would be willing to take a risk and maybe do something.

Mark

One of the main reasons that you dont see people modelling otp is that a lot of modellers are scared of trying to model them, the kits do sell even though they are quite pricey. A Kibri machine is usually around 80 -100 pounds and they arnt motorised. The fantastic looking Plasser 08 made by Jonathan at clockwork models (see 3d printing in forum) has done so well it has now been released as a standard kit available from DC kits.

Once again if it was available as a rtr model there would be a lot more people buy 1 due to not having to try and build all that complicated tamping equipment and underframe equipment.

• RMweb Gold

The problem with a lot of OTP but particularly with tampers and lining machines is the presence of lots of small parts which need to be accurately assembled = high manufacturing costs = high retail prices = cries of anguish.  Then look at a market split by fairly rapid advances in machine design and detailed appearance plus the many livery changes post 1994 and a manufacturer would have difficulty choosing which one to go for and an inevitably restricted market unless he goes BR era - but then has to choose which one for that period and inevitably that decision will be wrong for many potential purchasers.

The best answers seem to lie in 3-D printing - as is already happening.

Would certainly like some rtf in 4mm scale.

Yes there are a lot of parts a well a not too boxy body style which would make for complicated tooling (USP 5000C for instance)

Maybe a good start would be a TRAMM

On the problem of what colour, if the manufacturer produced them in plain yellow or grey you could add the livery hourself with transfers,

I believe that some american manufacturers produce undecorared models of locos so it is possible.

On the problem of what colour, if the manufacturer produced them in plain yellow or grey you could add the livery hourself with transfers,

I believe that some american manufacturers produce undecorared models of locos so it is possible.

Heljan also released a batch of triple-grey class 47s along with a transfer set so you could number the loco yourself and choose which RF sector livery you applied. Personally I quite like that approach as it gives the modeller the chance to have something unique without having to change anything at the start, and I'd imagine that supplying a transfer sheet is easier than printing the livery for the manufacturer.

Mark

Archived