Transformer/controller for H/D 3 rail

Keith George

I have picked up a small box of H/D 3 rail items from a car boot sale, just a selection of track and a few wagons. 

I am thinking of adding to it as a sideline to my main model railway interest.

Would I need a special transformer/controller for the 3 rail track or would one of the basic more recent Hornby units [of which I  have several stored away] do the job without any bangs or burning.?

Regards,  Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Your only worry might be amperage as HD locos scan consume a bit more power than newer ones. Allow one amp for each one run at the same time.

The basic Hornby controllers may be a bit puny for HD locos - HD rolling stock is heavier and much less free running than modern items. I tried one and the thermal cut-out kept tripping with an interminable wait for it to reset! HD controllers are rated 8/9 V.A. ie about 3/4 amp. I wouldn't recommend a Dublo power unit (though I use Marshall IIIs and an H & M Powermaster myself!) on the grounds of age - the ones with rubber insulation are a definite no-no, being well beyond the 25 year use-by date for this material.

Any controller giving this output current or more at 12V DC will be suitable. Any Dublo locos will probably need servicing - they are all at least 50 years old now.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be a bit eccentric, but I run several old Hornby Dublo locomotives on my "fine scale 00" layout, alongside many of the most recent RTR and handbuilt locos. There are 2 Duchesses and 4 8Fs, all of which are about 55+ years old and the only changes have been cosmetic (Romford wheels, new paint jobs, fine handrails etc.) The performance of all of them remains outstanding, easily working trains of 14 coaches or 45 wagons. They are powered by Modelex electronic controllers which are obviously geared towards more recent locos, but the current they draw is not excessive,being well under 1 amp.

I can't see any problem powering an H/D loco with a modern controller. The only situation that might be problematic is if the old motor magnets have weakened, they might draw more current.

Terry D

H-D/Wrenn do suffer from deterioration of magnet strength over a long period of time. Easily sorted though if you have the tool! (Which I still have from my days as a service engineer). As always, I offer RMWebbers the service at cost of postage only in they need it.

BTW - NEVER remove a magnet from a motor, you will lose the magnetism.

Stewart

H-D/Wrenn do suffer from deterioration of magnet strength over a long period of time. Easily sorted though if you have the tool! (Which I still have from my days as a service engineer). As always, I offer RMWebbers the service at cost of postage only in they need it.

BTW - NEVER remove a magnet from a motor, you will lose the magnetism.

Stewart

If your loco is a bit sluggish,as has been said,the magnet is shot.The answer is to fit a new Neo magnet,these will transform your loco.You can buy them on EBAY or from John at http://mainlytrains.webs.com/PriceList.htm

Ray.

If your loco is a bit sluggish,as has been said,the magnet is shot.The answer is to fit a new Neo magnet,these will transform your loco.You can buy them on EBAY or from John at http://mainlytrains.webs.com/PriceList.htm

Ray.

I have found the full size neo magnets tend to be too strong and usually use 2 small cubes (6mm), which are very economical on eBay (though possibly cheaper still direct from the suppliers website). I have found some locos to need four however. A couple of small steel washers will fill the small gap between magnet and pole pieces.

Sluggish performance isn't necessarily due to the magnet. It could be crud in the mechanism, incorrect brush tension or a faulty armature.

Hi Keith

A Hornby Dublo or Wrenn locomotive should draw no more than 0,65 Amps, therefore any controller with an output of 1 Amp or greater would be suitable. I use mainly Hornby Dublo or H&M Duette controllers, but Gaugemaster also seem popular.

In view of the source of your models, I suspect that the locos are in need of some TLC and a probable re-mag, as mentioned in previous posts.

I recommend that you should try to get to an HRCA local area group meeting, where there is usually someone who will be only too pleased to get a sluggish loco working.

Seeing that you live in Bristol, the most logical group for you would be the "Bristol and Somerset Group" who meet in Weston super Mare. Their next meeting is the 28th August. I have never visited this group,

Alternatively, If you fancy a trip along the M4, the "Thames Valley Group" meet in Mottimer, juat south of Reading. The next meeting will be on 10th September, I will be there and I take my re-magnetiser.

Other groups in you area are the "Yeovil and District Group", who meet in Yeovil, and the "Cotswold Group* who meet at Northend, near Gaydon (North of Banbury along the M40.

I am sure that you will be welcome at any group meeting, and someone there will be willing to help rejuvenate you trains. You may even get hooked!!!!!

Check out the HRCA web page for other events at which orginal Hornby trains (as made by Meccano Ltd) are exhibited.

Terry

HRCA - 6022

Archived