Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

OO Radius of curve with check rail?

• RMweb Gold

What would be the minimum radius of curve I could use with track made using C&L/Exactoscale check chairs with 0.8mm flangeway on the inner rails and still get RTR Bachmann locos (eg a class 66) round without changing to finescale wheels?

Many thanks in advance

Well, I don't know about class 66 wheels, but measuring the flange thickness of a Bachmann 4F wheel that just happens to be sitting on my desk, I would say that it would be a tight fit in a 0.8mm flangeway on a straight, let alone a curve. OO flangeway gaps are usually rather larger and, IIRC, 1mm is normal for EM but might work with the finer RTR wheels.

Nick

No, but you could do what everyone did before the Exactoscale special chairs appeared, or what many of us still do if we want to represent different chairs used by different railway companies. That is to use normal chairs but only put alternate ones on the running rail and check rail. Depending on how small the checkrail gap is, you'll then need to file or cut a bit off each chair so the two rails can be brought close enough. When these chairs have been stuck down, just add the missing parts using ordinary chairs cut in half.

Nick

Pragmatically, I'd build and test at the target curve radius. Theory is all very fine, but the individual's work standard counts for a lot when there will be a small clearance.

I am reminded of the first ever P4 layout I saw exhibited and running. Featured 36" rad curves, with passenger vehicles operating on them. I naturally asked where the continuous check rail was, and once the builder and exhibitor had got past his initial reaction I was informed that it had proved 'difficult' and priority had been given to making a working exhibit. 

If you're going to use the Exactoscale check rail chairs then you will need to cut them in half and alternate between threading them onto the stock rail and check rail. All you need is a couple of gauges for your appropriate gauge with the correct flangeway, not forgetting the butanone to fix the chairs in place.

Michael

Archived