Bridgwater North passenger operations

• RMweb Gold

I’m currently working on a model of Bridgwater North http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89113-bridgwater-north/&do=findComment&comment=1552649 and its set about a year or so after closure around 1954-55 I decided to build it as a goods only line and the wharves are still busy.

My question is how did the locomotive run round its train? Did an arriving train drop off passengers , then pull back to the loop run round and propel the train back in to the other platform as theres no loop on either of the platforms.

Andy

In essence, yes. However, whether it left the coaches on the Up (arrival) line and ran-round via the Down line, or vice-versa, I'm unsure. Logic would suggest the latter, as once the engine was at the Junction end it could propel the coaches back into the departure platform - but then, railways often never did what we historians assume!

Nice to see another modeller choosing this prototype - it seems to be increasing in popularity.

There is a useful "rule of thumb" when trying to establish working methods of yesteryear and that is that the men on the ground always did the job the easy way - although when it comes to the shunting of goods trains, it is often necessary to consider the fact that the same train (and crew) would shunt the yard again when returning the other way, before the reason behind certain shunt moves becomes clear.

That "rule of thumb" would certainly suggest that Chris is right. However, it also tended to be the practice for locos running round using a loop on a single line (or a pair of crossovers on a double line) to round their trains in a clockwise direction in order that movements were, as far as possible, in the normal direction of travel over each stretch of running line - and that would suggest that the alternative was right.

Often such dilemmas can be resolved by looking at the signalling - but at Bridgwater North it doesn't help. Photos might help too, but they seem to be as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is not in direct answer to your question, but there is an interesting photo of the Bridgwater Docks saddle tank, in the 1950s, running on*** the line that was put in to connect B.North to the docks, in our S&D group on ipernity. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/grisleyreg/31576363/in/group/550787

***please see RailWest's correction below.

The only photo that I have spotted showing the signals at B North is the OPC collection one on page 129 of Judge & Potts 'An Historical Survey of the S&D......' The 'Maritime Activities of the S&D Railway, by Chris Handley has a great aerial view of Bridgwater in 1953, but B.North is far too far away to discern any details.

This is not in direct answer to your question, but there is an interesting photo of the Bridgwater Docks saddle tank, in the 1950s, running on the line that was put in to connect B.North to the docks, in our S&D group on ipernity. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/grisleyreg/31576363/in/group/550787

If the caption on the photo is correct about the location, then surely that is north of the S&D station on the remaining stub of the S&D line and not on the new connecting spur? Nice picture nonetheless!

• RMweb Gold

If the caption on the photo is correct about the location, then surely that is north of the S&D station on the remaining stub of the S&D line and not on the new connecting spur? Nice picture nonetheless!

That is my error - sorry about the confusion. 

• RMweb Gold

Another photo of Bridgwater North in the early 1950s is by H.C.Casserley and can be found in 'Reminiscences of the S&D' by Alan Hammond, page 15. It shows 0-4-4T 58072, in 1952, about to leave with goods wagons. It also has some signalling details which may be of interest.

Archived