Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Assistance in Hornby RTR Scotsman

I have an almost new just old Flying Scotsman (60103 BR Green with Smoke deflectors tender drive) which normally runs very well with 8 Hornby MK1's

The problem I have now is that there is an intermittent short circuit between the rear driving wheels and chassis which causes jumpy running 

it's caused by the lateral movement of the wheelset although the Back to back is right and the wheel (The one with the insulated boss) appears flat not bent or wonky

Is it the insulated wheel pushing the pick up wiper against the live chassis block that is the trouble, or is the coupling rod shorting on the tyre? The respective cures are a little insulating tape on the block, and gently bending the coupling rod outwards so it misses the tyre. It can be helpful to run the loco in near darkness to see where the spark occurs when there is a short.

Is it the insulated wheel pushing the pick up wiper against the live chassis block that is the trouble, or is the coupling rod shorting on the tyre? The respective cures are a little insulating tape on the block, and gently bending the coupling rod outwards so it misses the tyre. It can be helpful to run the loco in near darkness to see where the spark occurs when there is a short.

There are no pick up wipers 

No it's not hte coupling rods

Was leaning towards insulating the chassis from the wheel  I had the chassis on a test track and didn't need the dark to see the flashes as I was inches from the rig

Thanks for the confirmation 

Archived