Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LYR, Midland, and GCR - did they run together?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

My in-laws originate or live in the north-west of England, and recently we have had a few conversations about the industrial heritage of the region. During this, naturally, the subject of railways came up a few times.  The only bit we (probably should be "I") couldn't be sure about was:

were there places or areas where the Lancashire & Yorkshire, Great Central, and Midland Railways could be seen together?

We thought, perhaps, Manchester especially with it's CLC connections.  anyway, I would appreciate any answers or pointers to other sites that could answer this.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

PS.  This may also develop into an excuse for another layout idea .... !

• RMweb Premium

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for that.  I knew about the LYR at Victoria, mostly due to the large map that still survives within the station.  As for 'Central' that's one I'll have to look up.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Alex,

Central was to the west of the city centre and is now the GMEX exhibition centre, it's a bit like a smaller St. Pancras with a glazed, single arch overall roof. It was Manchester's Midland and CLC terminus.

Ron Heggs is modelling it in 4mm, a breathtaking project. Here's a link to one of the relevant threads, the first posting gives links to others.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28293-manchester-central-clc-gn-warehouses-castlefield-viaducts/?p=296162

Check out the RCH junction diagrams.

This one is close. Not pure Midland but a joint line and the GC and LYR feature. A bit of modeller's licence could be usefully employed.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Lancashire_RJD_1914#mediaviewer/File:Ashton,_Ashton_Moss,_Crothorn,_Droylsden,_Guide_Bridge,_Hyde,_Oldham_%26_Stalybridge_RJD_32.jpg

Pete

Individually, they all served Barnsley. All three companies' engines could have been seen at Southport, the Midland and GCR on CLC trains.

(Edit to add - I knew there was a joint line somewhere to the east. It was the South Yorkshire Joint Railway. The GCR, MR and L&Y were joined by the GNR and the NER. All 5 railways worked trains over the line.)

• RMweb Gold

Just to the east of Manchester London Road (Piccadilly) around Ardwick you will find an assortment of lines originally owned by LNWR, GCR, MR, L&Y and MR & GCR Joint.

There is also a point near Cheadle / Stockport where the MR & CLC had a junction and heading east from there the line passes under the LNWR main line.

Provided you didn't want to run heavy goods locomotives from all companies you could probably use the excuse of the Grand National at Aintree to run race specials through a large number of places in the north west.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Many, many, thanks for your replies.

Manchester Central:  I have seen the building a few times: now I know what it was!

Junction diagram:  I have family in Ashton so some of the place names are familiar, but not the sheer amount of railway!

Model on RMWeb:  words fail me!

Looks like a book on Manchester's railways would be worth looking for.

Once more, thanks for your time and shared knowledge.

Regards,

Alex.

Alex,

In line with your original question, I'd recommend this, published in 1987;

http://www.lindatinkerrailwaybooks.co.uk/the-lms--lner-in-manchester

A comprehensive, illustrated, account and history of the LMS and LNER operations in the city through to the BR period. Plenty of photos, maps, plans and diagrams.

Archived