RailMatch Spray Thinners substitute ?

Jon020

Dear all. I hope you can help. I ordered some railmatch paints (ok) and spray thinners from Fox transfers. I've had no problem before, but this time, the thinners (I ordered railmatch to keep the products the same) delievered were a substitute 250ml tin and not the railmatch 250ml tin ordered.

The thinners received are manufactured by HMG Paints Ltd, described as "enamel thinners". These look very "general" and don't "smell" quite the same... I didn't want to breath too much of it in though!

I have e-mailed fox to ask them to justify this substitution.

Both the original spray thinners I had before and this tin have the same UN number, but I do not believe that this is relevant to it having the same chemical composition (UN1263).

I do not want to mix suppliers of paint and thinners, having had problems with this in the past. - I don't want a cloudy/foggy finish on my models thank you.

I will not use these thinners until their validity as alternatives has been confirmed.

The tin supplied was leaking and continues to leak from the neck area (location of leak indeterminate), suggesting a quality control issue with this article. The packaging wrapping this item was soaked in thinners on arrival and has had to be carefully disposed of.

Can anyone offer any advice..? I wanted to keep to railmatch spray thinners for spraying railmatch paint (obvious I suppose)... but I wonder whether this substitution by a reputable supplier (?) is common. They did not declare it at time of order or in the package.

Concerned..... Jon

I have e-mailed fox to ask them to justify this substitution.

The correct and obvious first step - though I would have telephoned and also complained about the condition of the tin (leaking).

I would have also argued that the substitution was not appropriate and that you should have been notified of any substitution (even if it was "equivalent" in their mind) and given the choice to decline.

There are also strict rules on sending such materials through the post - I am surprised that the post office delivered it in such a state and not resorted themselves to contacting the sender. They have the safety of their own workers to consider. But of course the "leak" may have been introduced in transit.

I would decline their offer of a substitution (it sounds like you do not want it, it was not as ordered, and was not accepted by you as an alternative prior to sending (but check the T&C of sale). You need to also determine from them how you are to return the unordered goods - given their current state.

This is a matter that needs to be resolved between you and the retailer as mistakes and in-transit damages do occasionally happen.

Followup your email with a telephone call.

Hi Jon,

if you look on your Railmatch paint jar labels, you will see that they are manufactured by HMG Paints Ltd - the same people as make your thinners - and it used to be sold as 'Railmatch Thinners'. I have been using this same (latest) combination for quite some time now and have had no adverse reactions.

As for the condition of the tin itself, then you should certainly take that up with your supplier.

regards

Mike

Dear Kenton and Ressaldar, I did get a reply from railmatch models (although they weren't the supplier) who offered the same opinion, that this is the manufacturer of the railmatch item. I'v yet to get a response from Fox... but yes, I shouldv'e tried to call them. I didn't last night because by the time I got home and opened this, I guessed they'd be shut (after 6pm). I will try today.

The condition of the tin and shipping... there was no found leakage inside the envelope, only inside the wrapping (bubblewrap around tin) and packaging tape wrapped around lid... which all came unstuck as I unwrapped it. Very messy! I've recehecked the inner seal lid and the outer screw lid and the really tightened them and the leak appears to have stopped... but I'm not going to keep the tin in the house. I will decant what I need into a suitable glass jar and use that.

thanks

jon

if you look on your Railmatch paint jar labels, you will see that they are manufactured by HMG Paints Ltd - the same people as make your thinners - and it used to be sold as 'Railmatch Thinners'. I have been using this same (latest) combination for quite some time now and have had no adverse reactions.

Yup, HMG Paints, I think of Manchester, are the actual manufacturers of Railmatch, so they are the correct combination. Several years ago I ordered some Railmatch paints directly from Howes and got the HMG branded thinner. I've since given up on using Railmatch as they tend to be very thick and stodgey, and the little glass bottles tend to weld themselves up very well. I only use Phoenix Precision now, and happily use them with the HMG thinners that I still have in stock, with no problems\fogging etc whatsoever!

Dear All,

Fox confirmed on phone that HMG is correct item... so no concerns with cross-matching products. I also voiced my concern over the loose tin lid that had leaked into the packaging material. I have asked for a written response to my e-mail (that they had not read) to confirm this information.

I accept that the bottle necks and lids do need to be kept clean to prevent them siezing, but I've had no problems with this so far... but yes, I'm still quite new to this. I will continue to use Fox as a supplier, as I like the products they offer... but... [ ]

The precision paints do look good; I was browsing their paint display at Ali Pali (Model Engineer show) the other weekend... but the range offerred by Railmatch tends to meet my needs for now, and I'd prefer not to mix paint types if I can avoid it (although i suspect that this will not be an issue.

Archived