REVERSION TO Ep 3 ?

bbishop

I'm just back from a holiday in Germany. At various places, I noticed that some electric locomotives were displaying a front number without the check digit. The number on the side retained the check digit. I didn't get a chance of a photo until Frankfurt Hbf, but this pair were on the rear and front of the same train.

post-11383-0-18652800-1408963095_thumb.jpgpost-11383-0-15825200-1408963120_thumb.jpg

Any explanation?

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Bill, I noticed the same thing and there doesn't seem to be any particular system to that. I suppose it will be related to the transition to EVN formatted running numbers as the suburban 442s around Leipzig, for example, are numbered 1442 1xx or 1442 2xx on the cab faces, too – with no check digits either.

(Sorry I couldn't make it to Leipzig Central last week – had an appointment related to work that day...)

Thanks Dom, I found other amusements at Leipzig Hbf., and I've been following your saga in Early Risers. Busy editing.....

But I actually first noticed the phenomenon in Dresden, then Leipzig, but didn't get the chance to get a photo until Frankfurt. Various classes seem to be affected, but I only spotted electric locomotives.

Bill

Pardon my ignorance - but what is the check digit actually for - what does it signify? Is it still required for any purpose?

Check digits were introduced to confirm the entry of a valid number into a computer system, and are to be found in many numbering systems from credit card numbers and security identifiers (ISIN and SEDOL) through to CRC checks (tautology alert) on transmitted data packets.  The system used by German railways (and others) is one of the most widespread, and most basic, and won't always pick up errors of transposition or an incorrect digit.  The UIC numbering system includes a check digit - which in Germany (mainly) was manipulated to correspond to the original DB running number check digit.

I suspect (though hopefully someone can answer definitively) that dropping of the check digit from the loco number displayed is to do with the conversion of systems to using the UIC standard number rather than the shorter running number.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived