Were you on Tyne and Wear Metro on 11th August?

Downed power line in Illinois - this is just domestic supply. you will note it took nearly two minutes from the start of the film for the power to be de-energized - Lord knows how long it took the power company to be on the scene.....

Best, Pete.

'30 passengers on the train who self-evacuated on to the platform'

Does the author know what this actually means? But the again I am not surprised some of that were bricking it!

Roughly translated as "sod this for a game, I'm off!"

I'm curious to know if the fire and the subsequent catenary failure were linked, or simply coincident..Perhaps some sort of over-voltage, first causing overheating in on-train components, then failure of the OCS

If the fire caused or was caused by an electrical overload, then the heavy current draw on a stationary train could well result in burning through the contact wire

• 11 months later...

What I find worrying about this incident is the length of time for which the overhead apparently remained live, 14 seconds seems a heck of a time for a relatively low voltage system to earth out and trip the circuit breakers.

It is most probably that the system has auto restore which means power will be restored following a fault disconnection. This usually happens three times before a permanent disconnection occurs.

The RAIB report Summary says that the power was restored by a power controller about a minute after first tripping. It then says that a second power controller noticed what was happening on CCTV and cut the power. From this I would assume that a power controller in this case is a person.

Edit: having scanned the report it would seem I was correct, luckily the power controller was just being relieved at the end of his shift and the incoming power controller was on the ball and there to be a second pair of eyes.

Also the driver was on the platform on his way back from examining the train and overhead when the power was turned back on and wires burned through and started flailing about. Sounds like he had a lucky escape.

Archived