Brickworks?

GreedyHarry

Hi,

I'm trying to find a reason for my embryonic layout. Because of space, passenger trains can only be 3 carriages long but there is ample room for a goods yard and a stub siding serving a specific industry. Is it beyond the bounds of reason for a brick company in the 1980's to use rail to distribute bricks. I know one of the sidings in Lawrence Hill yard was called 'the brick road' and there are remains of some kind of platform at Cattybrook brickwork on the South Wales Mainline to the west of Patchway tunnels. If the concept isn't stretching reality too far, what type of wagons would have been used to carry the bricks through the 80's on a Western or Southern based layout? Just in case anyone was wondering why I'm not adding an extra siding to the goods yard, I'm planning that the brick factory (or whatever it end up being) is big enough to act as the scenic break to the fiddle yard.Hopefully someone will be able to help.

1970s- SOV 'Pipe' wagons; these were used on the Calvert - Laurence Hill working; available from Parkside as a kit (and soon from Bachmann RTR at about three times the price)

1980s- OBA and OCA wagons (Cambrian kit or Bachmann RTR)

The 1970s traffic were simply loaded on pallets. The 1980s ones, mainly on behalf of Butterley, seemed to always have old tyres as dunnage between the pallets, possibly because they were a more expensive type of brick.

Several locations were used to load bricks in air braked opens during the Speedlink era in the 1980s

Butterley Brick loaded from Boughton Junction to various locations, including Southampton.

Westbrick loaded at Pinhoe (to the west of Exeter) from the adjacent brickworks.

Bricks were also loaded by M Thomas at Plymouth Friary  

cheers

Archived