1980/1990s ScotRail liveries on models

souwest

Hi,

Several model companies have produced Mk2, mark 3 and full brake coaches in ScotRail branded livery.  I recall the Mark 2s on the Glasgow-Edinburgh and Aberdeen trains, but where did the mark 3s and full brakes run ?

Souwest

Hi Souwest

Pretty much on the same Glasgow - Edinburgh - Aberdeen triangle. I don't think too many would have made it to Inverness, at least on a regular basis, although InterCity-liveried Mk 3s and BGs made it there regularly on the Clansman down the West Coast to Euston.

No doubt someone on here will be able to fill in the details though.

Cheers

Dave

The Mk3s were primarily on Edinburgh-Glasgow and Glasgow-Aberdeen services, with the Mk 2s used for the other Scotrail 'express' services as described above.

A Mark 3 set and DBSO did make it to Oban at least twice circa 1985 on summer Sunday specials (remember those?) with a couple of mk 2s added plus ETHEL, hauled throughout by 37's. I've a VHS tape which shows 37012 (Loch Rannoch) and 37111 (Loch Eil Outward Bound) as the traction concerned (one loco for each train).

Glasgow - Edinburgh was virtually all Mk3a stock (one out and back Mk2 pressure vent working from Edinburgh 1987-88). Obviously Mk2 air-con push-pull sets were used as cover if no spare Mk3a sets were available.

2 services Glasgow - Aberdeen and return were Mk3a from 1980. From May 1985 to summer 1986 the remaining Glasgow - Aberdeen services were push-pull with Mk2 air-con stock and BGs. In summer 1986 the ScotRail BGs were allocated away from Scotland and nearly all the Edinburgh - Aberdeen loco hauled trains also went over to push-pull.

By 1988 Glasgow - Edinburgh was all Mk3a stock (except as outlined above),

The Aberdeen services were 4 Mk2 air-con sets to work:

1) Edinburgh - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Glasgow, Glasgow - Aberdeen

2) Perth - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Glasgow, Glasgow - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Glasgow, Glasgow - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Perth

3) Aberdeen - Glasgow, Glasgow - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Edinburgh, Edinburgh - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Edinburgh

4) Perth - Dyce, Dyce - Glasgow, Glasgow - Aberdeen, Aberdeen - Glasgow, Glasgow - Dundee, Dundee - Perth (ECS)

plus 2 out and back Mk3a workings.

The only Mk3a stock at Inverness was normally the Clansman (London Midland stock) from 1986 to 1987 but I have seen a photo of a Mk2 push-pull set on the Highland line which shows the odd set did get up there occasionally. Usually there were not enough spare coaches to use the ScotRail liveried stock on anything other than push-pull trains.

Archived