No 197? Not much other than it was built at Highbridge in 1889, the photo probably dates to 1905 and it was said to have been replaced in 1928 by a standard 10T van. I do wonder about this, though, as both ex-Midland and ex-LSWR 10T vans are too tall and would need to be modified to get under Marble Arch.

There is a particularly good print of the photo in the front of Chris Handley's Radstock Coal & Steam vol 1.

Nick

Nick

Thank you

I have Chris Handley's book, and I was hoping to improve on the

information.

The layout of SDJR Brake vans ends are drawn in Bixley, Blackburn  et al "Southern Wagons"

but even that information is not sworn to by the authors.

There is a picture (1920's?) of 25a pushing empties past the platform at Radstock without a Brake.

Do you think it was common to operate the Main Line without Brakes

Noel

...The layout of SDJR Brake vans ends are drawn in Bixley, Blackburn  et al "Southern Wagons"

but even that information is not sworn to by the authors...

Is that in vol 1? My copy only has the photo and caption, no drawings, or did you mean the 10T and 20T brake vans?

...There is a picture (1920's?) of 25a pushing empties past the platform at Radstock without a Brake.

Do you think it was common to operate the Main Line without Brakes.

Shunting moves would normally be without a brake van. Given the track layout, shunting the yard on the down side could require access to the down main through the platform, as would access to the up siding and goods shed. Access to the Clandown branch was from the up main. There's a 1958 photo of one of the Sentinels shunting on the down main towards the other end of the yard on p35 of Radstock Coal & Steam vol 2.

Nick

Archived