WDLR Album

Linners

I have just acquired a copy of Roy Link's latest book, WDLR Album and it's superb. It deals with the British locomotives and rolling stock used during WW1, but other chapters include a detailed overview of the origin of the WD narrow gauge railways during the first World War, their role in supplying the big guns, troops and other supplies to the front lines, evacuating the wounded as well as exploring how they were maintained and repaired following artillery strikes etc. It also contains plenty of scale diagrams for the enthusiast too.

This is a big book, full of excellent photographs - after flicking through it I have only just begun to read it, but as with all Roy Link books, this text appears to have been a real labour of love that repays the reader in spades. The attention to detail, the clarity of the pictures (especially when you consider that they are nearing one hundred years old) and the depth of the text all contributes to produce a wonderfully informative reading experience. Note that this book is not just for those interested in narrow gauge railways, but anyone who is interested in military history and logistics, the first World War and even railways. I do not model WW! narrow gauge, but already there are ideas based around Bachmann's upcoming 009 Baldwin.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough (I have no association with the author), especially if you are familiar with Roy's earlier works, or even the Narrow Gauge and Industrial magazine. This really is a book to treasure, enjoy and one that you will keep returning to.

Linners

Archived