Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Testing a loco lighting system

gordon s

I have a Heljan 47 that has been playing up and I want to go right back to basics to put it all right again.  It currently has a Lenz decoder which I have tested and that seems OK on its own.  I shall remove the decoder and take it back to DC whilst I check out all the wiring, but want to test the LED's on each end of the loco as some work, some don't.  They appear to have a common feed and separate feeds to control each LED.  I will want to test the LED boards and was wondering what DC voltage to apply to the lighting board.

When running with DC, the voltage will vary from 0-12v or is the voltage stepped down via a control board?  I'm guessing that for DCC, there is a constant voltage applied via the decoder, so is there a suitable DC voltage I could set to test the LED's without blowing them up?

With DCC the common voltage is the positive supply (blue wire) and the function outputs (yellow, white, etc) switch to 0V, or very close, to light the LED.

The wiring for DCC will already have suitable resistors, so a 9V battery will do. Connect the + terminal to where the blue wire was connected. Connect the - terminal to the function connections one-by-one.

Andrew

Archived