Heljan Class 33 Buffer Beam detail

Hi,

I am interested in acquiring one of Heljans latest 33's, as from what I've seen they are superb!
However, I am being put off slightly by one thing, the buffer beam detail being pre-fitted. I can understand why they do it, but as I've found out with my 'Lion', it's a nightmare to remove! (Haven't actually been able to remove it from 'Lion', the glue is too strong!)

So, I was wondering, how do you remove the detailing from the buffer beam, without damaging the model?

I would need to remove it to fit Standard Couplings, and allow for the Couplings swing due to the tight radius curves of my layout.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I just cut the lower parts of the offending pipework off with wire cutters, roughly in line with, or just below, the lower edge of the buffer beam. This is a compromise that allows the appearance of having some buffer beam detail while still allowing the couplings to operate and swing. It also avoids having empty holes in the buffer beams.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if Vitrains did this it would be a godsend! you try fitting any handrails and details to one of their locos...

I know what you mean. It's something that the Margate and Barley Bunches have got in perfect balance. The ability to fit as much detail as possible without affect running. What does affect the movement of couplings is additional details.

I know what you mean. It's something that the Margate and Barley Bunches have got in perfect balance. The ability to fit as much detail as possible without affect running. What does affect the movement of couplings is additional details.

Usually, if I detail a loco then I leave a coupling at one end and fully detail the other end as much as possible. One thing I'm trying to get around is a way to fit static snow ploughs instead of having them clip into the nem pocket, as every time a loco goes around a corner it knocks half the detail of it, and becomes a right pain in the arse trying to rectify the problem!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived