Loco number sizes ?

Question,

What size are the numerals on the cab side of a 3F Jinty ? I have the HMRS transfer sheet no.14 and it has all three sizes for loco numbers, 6", 9" and 12". I realise the 12" are too big, but unsure if the Jinty requires 6" or 9".

Thanks for any forthcoming replies.

Cheers, Gary.

The numbers on the HMRS sheet should correspond to 8 & 10 inches high - not sure what the smallest are.

London Midland engines generally used 8inch, with Eastern & Scottish 10inch. There are exceptions, depending on locos sent to foreign works, and because of the various boundary changes between regions that took place in the 50's. So I'd suggest you want the middle size of 8inch for your Jinty.

John.

• RMweb Premium

I'm presuming your doing it in a proper livery, and not a Br one (!) but i haven't a clue which sheet number 14 is:

Any loco inparticular you are looking to livery up? I've a copy of DJ's Loco Liveries of the LMS, which has a fair listing of each class, and it might give the details for the one you want to do. Mind you the book is at home and I'm in work at the minute...

Andy g

• RMweb Gold

I'm presuming your doing it in a proper livery, and not a Br one (!) but i haven't a clue which sheet number 14 is:

Any loco inparticular you are looking to livery up? I've a copy of DJ's Loco Liveries of the LMS, which has a fair listing of each class, and it might give the details for the one you want to do. Mind you the book is at home and I'm in work at the minute...

Andy g

Sorry to say but sheet 14 is BR.

Thanks all for the replies.

Thanks John T. for the correction of numeral sizes. I just put my scale rule to the numerals and assumed the size... :scratchhead: The 8" numerals are the ones I would require. A friend confirmed this with his Jinty.

Andy, your presumption is wrong I'm sorry to say... BR (late) livery it is, in a well weathered and tired, work worn look. Paul is correct regarding the HMRS transfers (sheet 14) being BR.

Anyway, it's probably not the place to post a pic, but here is the end result...

post-14327-0-31493300-1410070755_thumb.jpg

I had trouble with getting the very small '3 & F' to hold on to the paint. This was attempted twice and twice,(prior to sealing the numerals in), they came adrift... Rather than put up with frustration and plenty of cursing, I left them out/off.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

I've found that you can get stubborn transfers that won't adhere to a model's surface to behave by the application of a little matt varnish.

I use Humbrol enamel and just place a tiny spot of the varnish in the area where the transfer needs to go. I then push the transfer that won't stick into position with a wooden cocktail stick. Once the varnish has dried I put a second coat ontop of the transfer to ensure it stays put!

I hope this helps, but if I'm honest the loco looks good without the 3 and F!

Thanks Wenlock. I hadn't had any trouble with the individual numbers when placing and allowing to dry thoroughly. Just the really small numerals/letters were a ripe PITA. I guess that Methfix transfers are a hassle, but they do come up good with a little patience...!

Cheers, Gary.

Archived