New modeller question: US on UK N gauge track?

hornbyplayer

Hi all.  Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area but I am new to railway modelling.  I originally purchased a Hornby 00 starter set, but then, to cut a long story short, realised n gauge would work better for me.  I obtained a Graham Farish n gauge starter set with peco track.  I'm looking at a Bachmann US set with the "e-z track" system.   Can this track be used with UK peco track, and will the US n gauge locos run on 9mm UK peco track?  I understand the difference in scales, but was just wondering about compatibility of the US vs UK n gauge systems?   I have googled, but didn't get the answer!   I would really like to build a US railroad without the expense of having to buy more of the the "e-z track" or similar system.   Thanks.    :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

You'll be fine with UK N scale track. Almost everything ought to run through Peco Code 80 track, and I've yet to run into anything that won't cope with the finer profile of Code 55. You'll also be fine using Kato's ready-ballasted track sections if you go down that route.

I'm not familiar with the E-Z track but generally speaking, you can join different makes of track together provided you pack the different sleeper heights as required.

You'll be fine with UK N scale track. Almost everything ought to run through Peco Code 80 track, and I've yet to run into anything that won't cope with the finer profile of Code 55. You'll also be fine using Kato's ready-ballasted track sections if you go down that route.

I'm not familiar with the E-Z track but generally speaking, you can join different makes of track together provided you pack the different sleeper heights as required.

Brilliant. Just what I wanted to know.  Yes, I have also been looking at the Kato track and figured to adjust for sleeper height if the track was compatible.   Right, I'm off to start my American adventure!...    :imsohappy:

One thing I would definitely suggest it to NOT get a Bachmann starter set. The locomotives that tend to be in those sets are not the best. The only one I have in running condition now has an Atlas mechanism under it. You will find it more enjoyable if you start with a quality loco.

I would suggest getting a Kato, Atlas, Athearn, Fox Valley, or Intermountain loco. All should run much better than a Bachmann trainset loco. A Bachmann Spectrum (their premium brand) loco would be ok, although some are better than others. I gave a link to a website in your other thread that has honest evaluations of just about every N-scale North American loco.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

The N-gauge tracks all have the same gauge wherever they come from.

What is not the same are the joining systems of the roadbed tracks. I suspect that this is a patent/royalty issue or just plain contrariness. I suspect that a short length of regular, e.g. Peco, track on a bit of roadbed would join them.

Doesn't E-Z track have a raised sleeper base similar to (but cruder than) Kato? In that case it will NOT be compatible with Peco, unless some kind of adapter is used.

It does, and it will be compatible with Peco (just like Unitrack is) with the proper shimming to allow for the base (as mentioned in posts #2 and #3). The critical factor is that they are all approximately Code 80 rail.

Adrian

One thing I would definitely suggest it to NOT get a Bachmann starter set. The locomotives that tend to be in those sets are not the best. The only one I have in running condition now has an Atlas mechanism under it. You will find it more enjoyable if you start with a quality loco.

I would suggest getting a Kato, Atlas, Athearn, Fox Valley, or Intermountain loco. All should run much better than a Bachmann trainset loco. A Bachmann Spectrum (their premium brand) loco would be ok, although some are better than others. I gave a link to a website in your other thread that has honest evaluations of just about every N-scale North American loco.

Adrian

Oh dear, this is just what I have done -   because it seemed a cheapy deal, have purchased a Bachmann starter set.   However, I do take on board your comments and if the loco is no good I will certainly be looking at Kato/Atlas etc - as usual everything comes down to finite funds!     

Oh dear, this is just what I have done -   because it seemed a cheapy deal, have purchased a Bachmann starter set.   However, I do take on board your comments and if the loco is no good I will certainly be looking at Kato/Atlas etc - as usual everything comes down to finite funds!     

Presumably it has the trainset GP40 in it. That loco will run reasonably competently, but it is by no means a top quality chassis nor is it a particularly well detailed shell. It is what it is - a loco built down to a price point. It is not a disaster, but I think you will appreciate an Atlas or Kato loco when you get around to buying one..

Compare: http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachgp40.html (last version) and http://www.spookshow.net/loco/atlasgp3840.html but consider that the list price of the Bachmann loco is about half that of the Atlas.

Adrian

Archived