Scale conventions for 3' gauge

Beatty 139

Although I am normally a 10mm scale G1 standard gauge modeller, I came across a whole set of drawings for the Southwold Railway, I was just going to see what the thoughts were of the group on scale, as it looks like it is rarely modelled. As it was 3' gauge it would be 15mm on 45mm track as a true scale, but that's a bit of an odd scale so would the thoughts be to round it up to standard 16mm scale and push the wheels in a bit to run on 45mm track (as per 10mm scale G1) or go for G Scale and push them out or just stick with 15mm?

• RMweb Gold

Your choice here depends on a number of considerations.

1) How compatible do you need the need your new models to be with your existing models? It looks as though you are keen to run them on the same track. That will look a bit odd and give you problems with clearance (bridges, platforms, etc). Probably better to stick with your existing scale and go for a different track gauge. 32mm (or even 29mm American 0) will give you a decent result and enable use of plenty of readily available components.

2) Where do your main skills/interests lie? If you build your own track and scratchbuild locos and stock, often better to pick a scale (e.g. 1/22.5, 1/24 or 1/32) for which there are plenty of accessories: road vehicles, platform furniture, figurines, etc.

If it were me, I would stick with your current scale (1:30.4/10mm to 1ft) and go with 29mm track.

Bachmann US 'G Scale' is made to a nominal 15mm scale and I believe some recent UK 3' prototype models have also been made to this scale. There are probably a few figures and accessories for this scale from Bachmann and elsewhere which you might be able to anglicise. Of course 'G Scale' is actually a pretty meaningless term these days as it is applied to anything between 16mm scale and 1/29th scale which runs on 45mm gauge track so it is a bit of a minefield. Personally I would go with 15mm scale or, as the previous poster has suggested, stick with 10mm scale but compromise by running it on 32mm (0 gauge) track which scales out at 3' 2.4" in 10mm.

Thanks for that, I havesone some work on local (Birmingham and Black Country) trams in 10mm scale to run on 'O' gauge (the west midlands ran 3'6" trams not standard gauge) to go with a future G1 project.

As for Southwold stuff I am more erring towards 15mm scale as per the current crop of stuff for the Isle of Mann railways. It would appear to make sense is UK 3' stuff was largely to the same scale, I'm not sure what the Irish narrow gauge chaps do as narrow gauge isn't really my thing but I fancy doing something a bit different away from my commercial modelling activities, and the SR is a bit off the beaten track!

Archived