Improving the Walthers Horizon car.

Dalesman

• RMweb Premium

First steps in a rework of the Walthers Horizon cars that I picked up when C&G Models in Darlington were closing down some years ago. After stripping the bodyshell down to basics, I repainted the window stripe from Amtrak Phase III using BR blue which is a pretty close match to the Pantone shade used by Amtrak for Phase IVb (do you think there was a British railfan involved in the livery design? ;)) Decals are a mix of cut and shut Phase IV coach and IVb P42 loco decals from Microscale.

Flushglazing was by trimming the existing glazing with Xuron track cutters and filing the flanges away. The windows them push in easily and Canopy glue is used to retain them in place. Home made window gaskets were then printed onto decal paper obtained fro 4D Models. Next step is to get some replacement doors etched up and then overlay them onto the original ones and then rebuild a Walthers F40PH into a Cab car!

Chris

post-3196-0-65483100-1410901086_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I'm curious as to what is wrong with the current doors?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Contrast this shot I took at Naperville on July 25, with the model: www.flickr.com/photos/27874750@N04/15082177875/

and this one of the original sliding door design found on Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/ck4049/6103144312/in/set-72157627438228997

It appears the change from the as-built sliding door as seen at: www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtHORIZON/amt53504.jpg happened in the late 1990 although some did escape the mods

I've drawn the door outline on Adobe Illustrator and just need some clues about setting that up for an etch to be made in Stainless Steel which can then be rubbed down with fine wet and dry to simulate that brushed Aluminium look of the prototype.

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking out for Horizon's at a sensible price for ages to try and do a Midwest "corridor" train, you've really raised the bar here Chris though.

Picked these ones up for £15 each about 5 years ago. Just got to finish them off and do AMTK 90200 to act as the NPCU for a midwest set - look good on RS Tower d'ya think ? ;)

Chris

I get the door difference now. However, is the "dutch" door the later design? FWIW, Wikipedia talks about dutch door being original. I presume that doesn't slide as well.

Andy

I would have thought that the dutch door would have been original, as that was closer to door arrangement on the older stainless coaches.

Adrian

I would have thought that the dutch door would have been original, as that was closer to door arrangement on the older stainless coaches.

As would I - but it would appear from photo's that the more recent the photo, the less likely it has to have the curved one-piece doors...

http://history.amtrak.com/archives/new-horizon-coach-cars

I get the door difference now. However, is the "dutch" door the later design? FWIW, Wikipedia talks about dutch door being original. I presume that doesn't slide as well.

Andy

I can't see any references to doors changing or dutch doors on the wiki page? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_%28railcar%29

I'm confused, I was expecting more difference between the doors. Is one curved in at the bottom and the other straight? What makes it Dutch? Edit: Ah, got it, just seen the slight difference in colour between the top and bottom halves of the door. Transatlantic translation issues again, I've always known them as stable doors (as in where you keep a horse, not as in 'not wobbly')

I can't see any references to doors changing or dutch doors on the wiki page? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_%28railcar%29

I'm confused, I was expecting more difference between the doors. Is one curved in at the bottom and the other straight? What makes it Dutch? Edit: Ah, got it, just seen the slight difference in colour between the top and bottom halves of the door. Transatlantic translation issues again, I've always known them as stable doors (as in where you keep a horse, not as in 'not wobbly')

Wiki page RHS sidebar. See under Specifications > Doors

The OP's flicker sequence shows at least one car with the top section of the door open.

IMHO, the window does looks slightly different on the single piece door.

Nice work on that model - Horizon sets do make a nice short Amtrak train - some of the Chicago area trains are only 3 Horizon coach cars with either an Amfleet or Horizon dining car , powered by a solo P42 diesel - cab cars are usually used on the Chicago - Milwaukee "Hiawatha" trains and the Chicago - Carbondale trains. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes, planning to do the ex-F40PH "cabbage" to give me some flexibility - the set can be used to represent any of the trainsets. So far I now have 3x Horizon Coaches, 1x Horizon Dinette and 1x Amfleet I Cafe. I've also just added Loksound v4 to a Kato P42!

Chris

Archived