DC Kits 4EPB

EPBGuard

Hi all

I recently found a long forgotten (tut, tut) DC kits 4EPB (and loads of old Phoenix stuff too!) in my soon to be knocked down shed. Its complete, other then some missing vents and door handles/hinges, had a clean and looks good to go. I've ordered some cast bits and bobs from MJT. However, I'm wondering if anyone produces the lighting and control boxes at the coach ends and also how these were configured within the unit, I can't remember and we never really had anything to do with those when I was working them, they were fitters territory!

I can't seem to find much info on the net, so any help or guidance appreciated :)

G

Hi all

I recently found a long forgotten (tut, tut) DC kits 4EPB (and loads of old Phoenix stuff too!) in my soon to be knocked down shed. Its complete, other then some missing vents and door handles/hinges, had a clean and looks good to go. I've ordered some cast bits and bobs from MJT. However, I'm wondering if anyone produces the lighting and control boxes at the coach ends and also how these were configured within the unit, I can't remember and we never really had anything to do with those when I was working them, they were fitters territory!

I can't seem to find much info on the net, so any help or guidance appreciated :)

G

G

Isn't the DC Kits a BR standard 4 EPB.

If so, I don't remember any control boxes on inner ends. I though these disapeared on the Standard units. (prepared to stand corrected though).

Dave

Hi Guys thanks for all the assistance :)

I finally found my copy of the excellent 'BR Fleet Survey' 10 EMUs by Brain Haresnape and Alec Swain. On the page (55) describing the BR design EPB there is a unit diagram and it does indeed show the units having jumper boxes at the inner end, the same design as the BR 2EPBs. However on the 4EPB these are mounted below the roofline,as the BR 4EPB didn't have roof conduits I imagine that these ran along the underside of the roof inside above the false ceilings and into the boxes from behind. I can't be certain about that as all the unfacelifted BR units had been withdrawn by the time I started on the railway, but I do remember that the false ceilings in the BR units were lower then the SR type.

The build is coming along and I've now build up the sides, with some strengthening strips along the inside on the joints and started the detailing etc. Now moving onto door hinges!!!

G

Hi all

G

Sorry G.

When I replied before I was thinking you meant the type of box on the inner ends of 4Sub coaches. It was the 'control boxes' bit that confused me.

Not sure if you will find the roof level ones anywhere.

If you want pictures, look in the 2 EPB thread in 'Scratch Building by Colin Parks.

Sorry that should be 2 Hap and 4Sub threads back in July time.

Dave

Hey Dave no need to apologize, everyone's been really helpful. 

The boxes are the same as on the BR 2EPB (standard English Electric end boxes) their just mounted lower below the roofline. I'll be forming these from Plastic/Plasticard.

I found some vids on you tube of BR 4EPBs running on the Hayes line yesterday and have been studying these. With the help of these, some books and my hazy memory of days gone by, I now have the correct location of the alarm sets, the locations of the ends steps, which way round the inner car power jumper boxes sit and the formation on the unit in terms of which way round the two trailer cars sat within the unit (for the location of the single buffer or rubbing plate) so I'm good to carry on with the build. 

There some really excellent builds on here, I just hope I can live up to the high standards shown!!!

G

Oh and I've found a Blacksmiths 4SUB kit in shed as well!!! Looks like I'm going to be busy for the next few months :)

Archived