Gaugemaster Controller Fault - Trying to understand the problem.

Roy P

I have what may be deemed an academic question regarding a similar fault with two Gaugemaster controllers.

Firstly, a model LT (the rolling-road) that sees it's output voltage fall steadily to almost nothing when given any significant load.

That is to say something fairly lightweight (Bachmann 45xx or Hornby M7 for example) will run happily on the rollers or around a test oval but anything heavier will start OK but then slow to a stand (Bachmann 85 / Hornby Britannia). A Heavyweight Heljan will flash it's lights but scarcely move at all. 

A volt meter connected across the terminals shows an initial output in keeping with the controller setting. 7 to 8 volts at about 6/10 on the controller and most locos displaying about 100 - 120mA on the built in ammeter at this setting. Without any adjustment of the controller, the current remains constant as the the voltage drops away and the locos slow to a stop. At which point the the ammeter falls back to almost zero.

I really have no idea about what goes on inside a modern (ish) electronic controller but guess that a component has failed and when presented with any significant load becomes hotter and the resultant increase in resistance causes the voltage drop whilst the current remains constant in the circuit.

I am hoping that some enlightened person might be willing to educate me on such matters. As I say, purely out of academic interest on my part as the obvious course of remedial action is to get the thing down to Gaugemaster House for a check up.

The other similar issue concerns a Model Q (the four track one) that sees the output on "track 1" behave in a similar fashion to the LT but with the added intrigue that a lightweight loco running happily on "track 1" will be slowed to a stand by anything heavy running on "track 2". The "heavy on 2" remaining unaffected.

the outputs to 2,3 & 4 will power anything all day long. As this is how it is used it will not need a trip to Sussex (for now!). 

Once again, a academic question but being unaware of what's under the bonnet of these things I am just a tad curious as to what is actually happening.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and indeed to anyone with the patience to read this.

Roy P

had a combi that did much the same.I contacted Gaugemaster who told me that it was a fault in the motherboard or somesuch that sometimes happened with the beastie.sent it back they fixed it it works fine five years on. Gaugemaster stuff has a lifetime warranty so I would suggest just let them fix it.They gave me no more information I fear.

As to why I couldnt say maybe something like a dry solder on a contact within the bowels of the controller!

robert

• 7 months later...

Just a little update on the original topic.

A couple of weeks back it seemed like a nice day for a drive down to Gaugemaster House. I explained the problem and left my Model LT (rolling road) in their hands.

Sure enough, the unit has now been returned in working order and all under their warranty. Excellent service for what is an obsolete item. I was advised to hang on to the set of rollers as these are now very difficult (and expensive) to replace.

Gaugemaster's shop "The Engine shed" with it's staff friendly is a very pleasant place to visit.

A stop for some very good fish and chips in Worthing on the way home made for a nice Spring interlude.

RP

Archived