RMweb

Sound fitted GWR Pannier tank

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Last year (I think) in the Bachmann catalogue we were promised a sound fitted Pannier tank, along with a few other DCC sound locos.

With the launch of the 2014 catalogue, this was dropped with the promise of a further announcement due soon.....

Any ideas if there will still be a sound fitted Pannier?

Accepting that it would have been tight to get everything in, it would be a great addition to the range.

Saw a Rep last week who suggests that despite these being absent from the catalogue, the budget sound locos (including Pannier) have not been dropped, and are still in development.

Hope this is true, however I have my doubts we'll see them any time soon.

Indeed, in terms of new models there appear to be slim pickings from the 'blue box' corner leading up to Christmas.

N

• RMweb Premium

For the sake of argument, if you aren't into removing loco weight from the coal bunker of the pannier, you could add a small Loksound micro decoder, with small speaker in place of the round one that comes supplied.

You can then pack the rear of the speaker with bluetack, and paint the blue tack with acrylic paint. The chip fits within the smoke box space. From the four foot viewing distance you can't really see the speaker.

And it works.... However! I find better results are obtained with a Zimo chip and a capacitor. The 0-6-0 wheel arrangement is prone to sound cut out over dirty track. The capacitor on the Zimo stay alive ameliorates this somewhat

Archived