Realistic platforms

ianp

I am building an N scale layout, modelling a French rural station. Can anyone give me some guidance about platforms? Commercial kits, from the likes of Faller, seem to be too much too high for rural lines where, in my experience, platforms are often low, and in the past sometimes to the point of being almost non-existent. Are there any manufacturers of more authentic kits? If not, what thickness of plasticard (or similar) will do? Thanks in advance,

It depends on the station, epoch and region. Stations belonging to the major companies did have well defined raised platforms but obviously much lower than ours. For very small stations the platforms often seem to be rather lower and local railways (C.F. d'Interet Local- roughly translatable as light railways)  both metre and standard gauge  more often than not  just had gravel or sand built up to rail height but with the station buiilding itself often raised on a low pavement  .

As a general rule of thumb for a passing station and based on various architectural drawings and my own measurements (on closed but not yet dismantled lines !!) I'd say that 30-55 cms above the top of the rail would be pretty typical with the greater height more typical of platforms that have been rebuilt to later standards. There was also, almost invariably, a lowered section of platform down to rail height usually in front of the station building to allow fo barrows to cross and often for people to walk to another platform in the absence of a foorbridge or underpass.

According to the French Forum N, the SNCF standards for passenger platforms are

high 760mm which is  4,8mm in N scale
medium height 550mm which is 3.4mm in N
low 300- 385mm which is  1.9mm- 2.4mm  in 1:160th scale. Nowadays these would only be specified where curves are less than 350m to allow for cleances but they do seem fairly typical of the original platforms built by the major railway companies particularly for smaller stations.

For suburban stations especially around Paris platforms may be higher at  910mm or more but, as SNCF have just found to their cost, clearances can be a problem.

for goods platforms 1150mm is the standar which is 7,2mm en N.

These are of course the heights above the top of the rail so the platform itself will be rather higher from the ground.

These are the prototype standards. There is a MOROP NEM for platform clearances and this may place higher platforms slightly further back than prototype to allow for modelling compromises but this is not a specifically French standard.

There are kits, or at least platform facings, available but it's not a difficult thing to model.

If you let me know a bit more about the station and era you're modelling I can probablyfind more specific informationn.  If you are a member of the SNCF Society a truly vast amount of information is available and if you're not and you're modelling French railways then it's well worth joining. 

It depends on the station, epoch and region. Stations belonging to the major companies did have well defined raised platforms but obviously much lower than ours. For very small stations the platforms often seem to be rather lower and local railways (C.F. d'Interet Local- roughly translatable as light railways)  both metre and standard gauge  more often than not  just had gravel or sand built up to rail height but with the station buiilding itself often raised on a low pavement 

A very thorough answer!  I have observed that a small station (i.e. one that has a regular service but is not served by expresses) will have a proper platform whereas an arrete (stop) which requires flagging down but only on certain rush hour trains will have no platform at all, even on a main line.

If you look through my Sud de France photos you will see that Nissan station, which was abandoned but is now an arrete, has a bus shelter and gravel at ground level.  You have to climb aboard the TERs.  In contrast, a station like Leucate La Franqui not only has a proper platform but can handle full length trains; these days only TERs stop there but as a holiday destination the platform used to handle much longer trains.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Focalplane - sorry about the late reply. Having an 8 week old child impedes on the time for modelling and internet...

I have used foam board quite effectively for the platforms on my layout (buried in the French section of the forum somewhere). They work out at about the correct height and I was able to purchase platform sides from trains160 to give the edging effects (just a satisfied customer). That store also does a variety of laser cut bits and pieces that might be useful for your N gauge layout. 

If you do want to go down the kits route then MDK make a station kit (Moirans) that is rather dated now but the platforms might be of interest. They do sell them separately and I may even have some spare but I would have to have a good look for them. Message me if you are interested (I also have a few other spare bits that could be of use). 

I used foam board as the basis for the platforms as it removed the joins and was very much a low cost option. To get a decent looking surface on the top i used DAS clay which was then sanded down and sprayed up to a nice beige colour and then weathering powders were used to give it the effect of having a gravelly surface. 

Whatever you end up doing please keep us informed. I am always interested to see other N gauge French layouts. Good luck

Archived