Is it harder to build brass kits in 3/4mm vs. 7mm?

My experience so far in kit-building has been enjoyable in 7mm/S7. A friend has repeatedly suggest I try my hand at 4mm - I must admit, I'm a little attracted by the lower prices and smaller scales' possibilities. The only barrier for entry is that my relatively meager soldering skills haven't been such an issue in 7mm - the pieces are big enough to be able to sink a lot of heat into without bits dropping off, the surfaces are larger to not totally clog up where I've put too much solder on/etc. etc.

So generally, the question is - is it harder to build in 3 or 4mm versus 7mm? Logistically you're soldering fewer pieces, but they'll be smaller too - I can't work it out.

Thanks,

EDIT: If it makes a difference, I would be building in 14.2-intermediate/EM to avoid compensation woes.

Yes and No :D

As a long time builder in 4mm (EM and OO) I started really building in anger in 7mm (not S7) a couple of years ago - so I come with many year experience in 4mm and very few in 7mm. I consider myself pretty good if not above average at soldering.

4mm kits are cheaper but my experience so far is that the quality is extremely variable - so at the end of the day they become not that much cheaper. You can still pick up a very good selection of wagons in 7mm for less than a loco kit in 4mm.

IMO the detail is greater in 7mm but the bits to generate that detail are finer and easier to handle - there just seems more space on the model to work with them.

Soldering in 4mm I think is easier though as you can get away with less of everything solder,flux,and heat. The heat sink capacity of 7mm models can become a real problem - whereas in 4mm sometimes you are looking for ways to loose that heat. Some4mm etches are rather delicate.

Just go for it - just another challenge.

• RMweb Gold

As you go up a scale it probably is a little easier to handle the bits and pieces,. However you can see more so you may find you need to add extra detail. If you are interested in building locos etc. rather than a layout 7mm is probably more satisfying. If you want a working layout with some building work 3mm is a great scale. Go to a show and consider which layouts appeal to you and why.

DonW

It depends on how fine you make the kits in both scales. I go to the extreme for 4mm and I probably would do the same in 7mm and so would be dealing with parts of the same size at the fiddly end of the scale.

The real difference is the lack of large slabs of brass for the main components.

I'd agree with Kenton that 4mm does have variable quality but no doubt there is some rubbish 7mm about too to be wary of.

No idea what 14.2 intermediate is but 4mm tends to benefit from some sort of springing of longer wheelbase stock and locos even in EM if you are kitbuilding anyway.

Archived