Modern image modelling

Gene

This sub-forum was for the RMweb Live show Gene.

Modern image is far too broad a classification and there are many special interest areas already dedicated to more focussed aspects from Transition Liveries through to Intermodals.

the term Modern Image was coined by the late Cyril Freezer, editor of the Railway Modeller way back in 1961 or 62 when the WCML electrification as underway. The yellow banner on the front of the particular edition read "modelling the modern image", referring to articles in that issue about the new station at Macclesfield and other places in that area.

As Andy says, the term "modern image" is too broad a term to use these days as it could refer to anything since 1961! We ought to use the adoption of the "era" terms used by the German modellers.

• RMweb Gold

I occasionally run Highbury in diesel mode c. early 1970's. At the Southampton show last year one gent complained to me that he didn't like this modern image stuff. I tried pointing out it was well over forty years ago but it didn't seem to appease him. Oh well...... :scratchhead:

Jerry

Hi,

Which just goes to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

In the 50s and early 60s there were a few "historic" modellers but the majority modelled a. what was available from the main manufacturers and b. what they saw around them at the time. In effect the bulk of modellers were modelling the contemporary scene. It was a time of change and model railways reflected this. I can not remember two "camps" ,diesel modellers or steam modellers.  Hornby Dublo and Triang reflected life by introducing new types as the real railway did (in one case I think that HD beat the prototype) and existing models got the livery changes as they happened as well. Steam and diesel running alongside each other just like the real railway. IIRC I asked for and got a Triang DMU as a "reward" for passing my 11 plus in 1958 which coincided with the introduction of the first Metro Cam. units on local services around my home town. The real change came when the modernisation plan meant the swift extinction of many peoples favourite steam locomotive classes. No main line steam at all for many years after so any modeller with a mixed collection of locomotives automatically became a "period" modeller.  Those who concentrated on diesel/electric locos  became " Modern Image" modellers after CJF came up with the name. In the late 60s/early 70s I can recall some quite bitter arguments in the local club between the two "camps" and as Jerry's story proves it is still going on.

I think that the "era" idea is best but how many will we need?  Change on the real railway happens so fast that any model in any livery is only going to be "right" for how long?  Do we need a different "era" for each say 10 year block? Even then some things would not always be right.

best wishes,

Ian

whose "contemporary" modelling is now "historic"

Archived