Tops of Stone Walls

I'm making a long (3ft) stone wall in 4mm and using slater's plasticard for the face. that's working just fine.

however, the wall I am modelling had vertical stones placed on the top and I am not sure what would be the most efficient way to model this.

here is a random google image of what I mean:

http://www.the-gardenmakers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Completed-dry-stone-wall-fu.jpg

most of the ideas I've had would be rather arduous. does anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

thanks in advance. :)

My advice would be to presume it is an old stone wall, and have the top covered in "ivy" (and before the 'humorous' contributors rush to reply, I am referring to the plant Hedera and not your great aunt) or brambles.

I presume that producing a 'tangled greenery look' will be easier than cutting plasticard into 5mm x 3mm rectangular shapes, although you could have a few of them representing exposed stones every few inches or so.  

When I was trying to build a dry stone wall I experimented with making a thin sheet of pollyfilla and then breaking it into bits. I didn't use to method in the end as I didn't like the wall but the top was ok. This is how it looked.

post-20336-0-58565300-1412418793.jpg

I ended up putting DAS clay over a wooden former and scribing the stones. In this picture of a test piece you can just see that I tried the bits of pollyfilla on the far end but it didn't match the finish of the scribed stones so I still didn't use it.

post-20336-0-52214900-1412419041_thumb.jpg

Stu

• RMweb Premium

What type of stone is it? What it'll look like will vary quite a bit depending on the stone and how easily it can be shaped.

I've not go any advice though, I'm looking at this thread for inspiration since I've got a stone wall to make. I quite like the Polyfilla idea, just needs a bit more randomness in it for the type of wall I'll be building (limestone).

That is an excellent stone wall Stuart. In fact, I actually like the non-matching far end, as it might be that in reality one section of wall had been extended many years, or even centuries, later.

This stone walling was made out of pieces of hardened pollyfilla suitably gnarled with a side cutter and at another time, though I have no pictures of it, I made a run of stone walling  out of mortice machine chippings which I bought from a pet shop though they called it snake litter !

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-85824100-1412506231.jpg

The stone walls on Canal Road were made of Das clay by my wife.  Nearly drove her mad as she had to make yards of it.  It was only one stone wide but looking side-on the lack of width didn't show.  The area modelled is supposed to be in the Yorkshire Dales. The pic is the eastern end of the line into the fiddle yard.  The nearest track is my youngest son's 00, the one behind is my EM.

post-6110-0-97537600-1412544221_thumb.jpg

The stone walls on Canal Road were made of Das clay by my wife.  Nearly drove her mad as she had to make yards of it.  It was only one stone wide but looking side-on the lack of width didn't show.  The area modelled is supposed to be in the Yorkshire Dales. The pic is the eastern end of the line into the fiddle yard.  The nearest track is my youngest son's 00, the one behind is my EM.

that looks terrific, and I also had not thought of using Das clay (bizarrely). I'm going to play with some and a comb. maybe if I stick some on top of the wall and use a comb to make the gaps I will be able to get a reasonable representation...

I wish I had a picture of a wall I made years ago, but I dont. I broke up several old ceramic wall tiles after finishing tiling a bathroom. The tiles were about 4mm thick whiich was a bit big, but it did look good when finished. All I did was to lay the peices as if you were laying a real wall using pva as a cement. The tops of the wall just had the bits stood on their side with the rough edges upper most. Once painted and weathered it loked good, really.

Archived