Block Post Signalling Simulation

jonny777

Does anyone have any experience of using this company's computer software?

I have downloaded the restricted test version of Yapton Crossing, which is said to be for beginners, but I still struggle to discover which order I have to do things in for a successful train route.

I understand that the signals are interlocked with the gates and the turnout settings, but there seems to be a need to get a train accepted by the following box before certain levers can be pulled. However, I appear to be sending the wrong bell codes, or the right bell codes but not in the correct format.

As you may have already guessed, I am a total novice when it comes to manual signalling; but I would love to learn to master it as I always wanted to be a signalman when I was at primary school - but my parents had far more lofty ideas for my career.

• RMweb Gold

Looks fairly straightforward to me judging by what little is visible on their web page but I can't access it at all (I'm not on Windows) so what I would suggest is -

1. Study the instructions and make sure you know how to do the various things like work the block bells and blocks as well as the levers and level crossing gates

2. Study the instructions to see what information they give regarding bell codes - write yourself an aide-memoire if it would help with them.

3. Study the process -

3a.  'box in rear Calls Attention and then when it has been acknowledged offers a train, repeat codes and place block to Line Clear.

3b   'box in rear sends Train Entering Section (TES) which you acknowledge, turn block to 'Train On LIne',  close crossing gates, offer train to 'box in advance (Call Attention, acknowledged by next, 'box, then send 'Is Line Clear?', watch block go to Line Clear, then clear signals for train.

3c  As train passes send Call Attention then 'Train Out of Section'(TOS) to 'box in rear and replace block to Normal. and TES to 'box in advance watch block go to train On LIne, replace signals in order, open crossing gates,

3d  receive Call Attention (acknowledge) then TOS (acknowledge from 'box in advance and watch block go to normal,

4. Time for tea.

PS looking at it on You Tube it's even easier as they miss out certain Call Attention bell signals, also work the gate locks rather early in my view but that seems to be the way they do it.

You can't clear the last signal (the section signal) until the train has been accepted by the next box, this unfortunately is something that happens on the real railway as well, on the frame graphic it is a red lever with a white band around the lever, denoting that it is released by another box.

• RMweb Gold

Looks fairly straightforward to me judging by what little is visible on their web page but I can't access it at all (I'm not on Windows) so what I would suggest is -

1. Study the instructions and make sure you know how to do the various things like work the block bells and blocks as well as the levers and level crossing gates

2. Study the instructions to see what information they give regarding bell codes - write yourself an aide-memoire if it would help with them.

3. Study the process -

3a.  'box in rear Calls Attention and then when it has been acknowledged offers a train, repeat codes and place block to Line Clear.

3b   'box in rear sends Train Entering Section (TES) which you acknowledge, turn block to 'Train On LIne',  close crossing gates, offer train to 'box in advance (Call Attention, acknowledged by next, 'box, then send 'Is Line Clear?', watch block go to Line Clear, then clear signals for train.

3c  As train passes send Call Attention then 'Train Out of Section'(TOS) to 'box in rear and replace block to Normal. and TES to 'box in advance watch block go to train On LIne, replace signals in order, open crossing gates,

3d  receive Call Attention (acknowledge) then TOS (acknowledge from 'box in advance and watch block go to normal,

4. Time for tea.

PS looking at it on You Tube it's even easier as they miss out certain Call Attention bell signals, also work the gate locks rather early in my view but that seems to be the way they do it.

Another "problem" (or challenge) is be sure which trains are for the main line or (invisible as they start at adjoining boxes ) branches; trains in both directions can be needing signalling as branch ones, if I recall the simulation correctly. The help file does cover this but it can realistically get quite hectic!

Regards

Basil

Just been having a play with this 'simple' simulation and it's quite challenging for those of us who haven't operate a real box - or indeed worked in any capacity as a signalman.

After about 6 attempts I completed the last try with only five errors. I know that's really five too many but it's a great improvement on my first attempt.

The operational notes are somewhat sparse and as with all simulations, because you can't see the real world you're effectively doing it with part of one 'sense' disabled.

Gonna try one of the more complicated ones soon - I think I'm hooked.

Thanks everyone for your replies. They have been most helpful. 

Like Andy, I am a complete novice when it comes to signalling procedures, and from The Stationmaster's excellent sequence I can now see that my main confusion was with when to send train entering and out of section bells; mainly because not being able to see the train, I had no idea where it needed to be for this information to be sent (if that makes sense).

Now it is becoming much clearer. I have yet to master the quick reversal of the bell codes to signify a branch train, but I will get there eventually. 

Also, on the simple simulation it eventually became apparent that at the very start the crossing gates were already closed across the road, and my numerous errors gained when trying to close them have since vanished. I suppose I should have realised this from the position of the levers, but in my panic at trying to get everything right; common sense went straight out the window.

I have had the Exeter West one for a while and my advice is to stay away from that one until you have some signalling knowledge under your belt, not only is it quite a complex layout but all the operating oddities are there, as well as wrong direction working, blocking back etc.  It is a very steep learning curve with that one.

Having now played through Exeter West a couple of times I've got to say that its not a bad sim but it lacks the polish of some of the others on the market.  It's got some quite irritating bugs in it that frankly display a total lack of beta testing, in no particular order here are some I have encountered:

It is possible to get 53 points back without first moving 54, thereby locking the majority of the bottom end of the frame up.

The sim is unable to determine the correct regulation of trains on the part of the signalman, you get penalised equally for holding a slow pick-up to let a non stop express through or for holding the express to allow the goods through(!)

A SPAD occurred when a train passed a section signal at danger, despite moving at 30mph AWAY from the signal, and the simulation automatically ended.

The sim has an annoying habit of automatically pausing itself for no reason.

I don't need to PM you mate, I've nothing to hide and I'll quite happily say it here.

I've played a lot of PC rail stuff and the games are playable but quite basic, most of there power box type stuff is ok, the signal box sims are pretty good but nowhere near as detailed as the block post ones, they are however fairly bug free and timetables aren't bad. 

I've not bought any of the simsig software but the freeware is quite good and being community developed tends to be very bug free and the simple timetable editor is quite nice so you don't get bored.

My personal preference are the SIAM sims which are quite good fun, although more general operating simulators than actual signalling sims.  I know there are extensively beta tested because I'm involved in that!

Archived