Sandford No. 8 - Bachmann 2-8-2 O9 Bash

For once, I'm doing a loco that doesn't include any 3D printed parts, just to practice some skills and use up some items from the spares box.

Although I've got a Heywood locomotive built and two more following it (more will be made when I get some of the N-Drive kits), I really fancied going for another Ravenglass and Eskdale locomotive. I had looked at modelling River Esk using a Bachmann 2-8-2 for the chassis, but I didn't get too far with Sketchup and gave up on it. Now that I have Solidworks, I am redrawing the mesh and currently building an accurate model of the loco, tender and tender bogeys.

I managed to get two of these chassis at a good price, and as I was using one I had a spare. Rummaging through my spares box resulted in a Triang Caledonian Single body, some tender sides and various OO9 fittings. Original idea was to build a smaller version of the Romney 4-8-2s, but with these parts to hand I've gone for a NG outline 0-8-0, similar in ways to River Irt. Dry placement resulted in this appearing.

56A42A21-585A-4378-9245-3B82E24BF061_zps

As an excuse for having the locomotive, I'm feeling the railway inherited a American outline 2-8-0 which needed some major repairs, so it was converted in appearance to a African outline 0-8-0. New parts built for the locomotive included the Tender, Cab and front Bufferbeam.

The final arrangement I went for currently looks like this.

9B80A812-18B8-4794-8C75-556278239A2E_zps

2AA58780-D9BD-490F-9C93-BC91E043994D_zps

Further work done since has been making the roof flat (not sure if this was prototypical but I like the idea of it) and creating a driver's seat in the tender. Really not sure if the final locomotive is going to be handsome or ugly, but I guess it'll show when complete. I'm thinking of painting it black all over with a silver smokebox, perhaps lining it in white to smarten it up.

Johnny

So far I've got the loco looking like this, have just cut another bufferbeam to size for the back and will be gluing it on tomorrow night. Will give it a coat of primer as well because it generally needs a sand down in areas to remove the leftover parts of the donor bodies. Might add a trailing bogey, but I feel it's not exactly needed on the locomotive.

EF21FC0F-81F9-49EE-8DF7-C2E68199A54F_zps

Johnny

Archived