Fitting Ultrascale wheels

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm contemplating ordering some Ultrascale wheels to try on one of my 142s, hopefully to improve running quality, but never having fitted any finescale wheels, am wondering how easy it would be to a) remove the gear from the Hornby axle and b) fit that to the new axle, and fit the wheels square and true on the axles?  What tools will or might I need to do it?  I assume a back-to-back gauge (although their website says the wheels should be flush with the end of the axle, is that enough to be accurate, I can't imagine so?), what about for removing the gear and refitting it?

Any advice appreciated, many thanks!

JDW

If by 142 you are referring to the Hornby "Pacer" unit then in order to improve running may I suggest you look at installing the High Level Kits re-motoring kit. It absolutely tranformed the running on mine to the point of how slow would you like it to go!

No connection other than a VERY satisfied customer.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I did mean the Class 142, sorry, should have been clearer.  From the website I understood that for those ones, the driving wheel sets need to be assembled by the purchaser.  I don't have a 142 handy, and can't remember off the top of my head whether they just drop in or need to be assembled in situ.

I'd forgotten about the High Level kits, though the budget might not stretch to four unit's worth of those, and in fact the units run (or ran) reasonably well anyway, or at least did, they haven't seen much use over the last few years, mainly because the running quality has gotten worse and worse, which I suspect is due to the state of the wheels, which seem to be losing their shiny coating.  Hopefully just a set of better wheels will improve matters, I'll try one unit and see what happens.

Archived