West Pennard point operation question

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

As part of planning my layout based on West Pennard, I have been looking at the track plan and signalling diagram.

On my copy of the signalling diagram there appears to be no point number against the point leading to the goods shed siding either on the trackplan or in the lever listing.

My question is, would I be correct in assuming that this point would've been operated by a trackside lever or ground frame?

Many thanks,

Nige F

Err...not sure what you mean by the 'goods shed siding' as the siding that ran thru' the shed was connected at both ends by points worked from the box. Do you mean the hand-point which lay between points 11 and 12 and led to the siding behind the goods shed? in which case, yes - it was a hand point.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks Chris, for the answer and sorry for the delay replying.

It is the point between 11 and 12 that I meant. Using a hand point makes sense. I'll have to have another look at all the books I have to see if I can see it on any of the photos.

Regards,

Nige F

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In Mitchell & Cole's 'Burnham to Evercreech Junction' there is a photo by R.Shepherd, in which there could be a hand lever in that location. It is a fair way off so it is hard to be sure.

Colin Maggs' 'Branch Lines of Somerset' has a photo taken from a spot that must have been a few yards from that lever, if only the photographer had been pointing the other way!

Archived