Ivatt Mogul

ngtrains.com

• RMweb Gold

I have got this loco to do as yet undefined stuff to for a friend/customer.  I am waiting details and photos from him as to which loco it will be turned out as - can't recall the number but know there is a picture of it at Derby coming my way just from the conversations that have led up to the loco being acquired.

The model is a San Cheng/Bachmann Branchlines/Finescale Brass one obtained recently from FInescale Brass.

There are some things about the model I don't like and might change but, as I am principally a narrow gauge modeller, messing with standard gauge is unfamiliar territory for me.

To that end I am posting the pictures of the untouched model here and inviting comments and suggestions for improvements and changes that could be made. Practicality may get in the way later but for now the gloves are off when it comes to suggestions.

post-2660-0-06227900-1412959514.jpg

A quick web trawl didn't find a decent picture but the injectors look a bit insubstantial to my eyes

post-2660-0-86679900-1412959530.jpg

post-2660-0-11141500-1412959542.jpg

The engine to tender join doesn't look right. The chasm between them is too much. The fall plate doesn't reach the tender and the coupling pin is pulled over like its about to let go

post-2660-0-22234600-1412959562.jpg

On the cab the fall plate is sprung to the horizontal but doesn't go any lower so it couldn't touch the tender even if it was near enough. Also the springs are pretty strong so it takes some force to deflect it upwards.

One the tender they have gone to the trouble of adding sprung buffers which should bear on something on the loco but don't come close. Seems odd to have gone to the trouble of making them sprung really.

post-2660-0-23006500-1412959582.jpg post-2660-0-22192200-1412959603.jpg

OK so over to you for your suggestions and recommendations. It'll now be Monday before I see them as I am off to Wales for a narrow gauge fix shortly

Hi Paul,

On the San Cheng 8f they give you additional draw bars so you can bring the tender a lot closer, are you sure they are not in the box ?  If not it would not take long to make a new one out of some scrap etch, just a thought.

Regarding the injectors yes they do look undersized, try Ragstone for some better castings but I will warn you they will not be cheap, but their castings are top quality.

HTH,

Martyn.

Hi Paul,

I made a very simple new draw-bar for mine, I'm afraid I can't remember how much shorter - but a quick measure of the existing gap would do it.

Glazing works wonders - i used 2 x glass slip covers laminated for strength, and i think, other than the paint job, that's all I did to mine.

IMG_1253small_zps554fdab2.jpgIMG_1259_zps4ce04f1f.jpg

Paul

A few points to look out for when selecting the number for this loco( and there will be others no doubt.) Different chimneys, different types of steps at the front of the tender. The injectors on these locos look fairly insubstantial in real life too! If you want to do any upgrades, Laurie Griffin does dozens of castings for this loco. Hope this helps.

Jeff

If yours turns out to be in the 46465-46482 series then I have here FUD plastic 3D printed 'tall & skinny' Darlington chimneys with which they were originally fitted - see 46468 below. Laurie Griffin's cat.6-15 'tall 2MT' chimney is the later revision which is closer to the width of the standard chimney, but almost the same height as the 'tall & skinny'.

post-6672-0-65251300-1412967670_thumb.jpg

The front bogie area was slightly different on some WR based models they didn't have the life guards as on the model they were part of the front bogie, other things like lamp brackets as well

Oh and the steps on the Tender and loco were also different on swindon built locos.

Of course the size of numbers and crest varies - particularly as to whether the loco is lined or not ( mine would normally be considered 'wrong' - having small numbers and crest, yet being unlined, except I have a photo of her like this......)

Archived