North Sunderland Railway

Axlebox

Bit of a long shot...does anyone know what colour the North Sunderland Railway painted Seahouses station?

http://www.farne.co.uk/north_sunderland_railway.html

You get a partial view on picture 1 from the above link.

My guess* is either NER brown and Cream or LNER Green and Cream...but does anyone know for sure?

Cheers

Duncan

*guess based on them borrowing most everything else from their bigger neighbours including their uniforms!

Edited by Axlebox

I travelled on the North Sunderland in 1951 and 1952 while on holiday - I was aged 6-7.  (We travelled 2nd Class as the Big Railways only had 1st and 3rd!)  I can't remember the colours but I do have a copy of Alan Wright's "The North Sunderland Railway" (Oakwood Press Locomotion Papers No 36 - ISBN 0 85361 335 4, 2nd Edition 1988)  That seems to indicate that the walls of the station building were either local stone or whitewashed brick.  The roof shows in a b/w picture as pale corrugated iron, possibly unpainted galvanised.  Woodwork of doors etc was dark- possibly dark varnish or dark brown.  Sorry this is so vague, but it's unlikely that LNER colours would have been used as it was never part of the LNER.  The line had to be incorporated, and then taken over by BR, before it could be formally dissolved - all after the service had ceased.

I do remember 68089 - she reminded me of a Hornby O gauge clockwork 0-4-0 but without the clockwork control rods sticking out of the back of the cab...  I can also remember how the passenger stock was fly-shunted at Chathill instead of using a run-round loop.  The ride comfort of the 6-wheeled ex-NER stock was bumpy - worse than a Pacer.

Richard

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Richard and Arpster...one of my friends is building a model of Seahouses and has got stuck on what colour to paint the place!  Somewhere in the back of my mind I've seen a colour photograph (or even film) of Seahouses...but can't for the life of me remember where...unless I'm having a senior moment and my memory is confusing Seahouses with Easingwold!

Cheers

Duncan

• 2 years later...