Chassis construction jigs/aid - what do they actually do?

ChooChoo_Baloo

Hello all,

I saw a stall for a chassis construction jig at a recent O gauge show, the seller was:

http://www.avonsideworks.com/products.html

Since reading about all of the benefits such devices are supposed to bring to 7mm locomotive construction, I am afraid that I still do not understand what they actually do/improve upon!! I don't think I am being thick since I contacted a well-known O gauge kit manufacturer who also said that he had no idea what these things provide, especially for their high price tag! Any knowledge that others can share with me would be most welcome!

Thanks.

The thing about them is they do help with alignment when building your chassis BUT there are other options out there depending on how many kits you intend to build, suspension systems employed etc etc. I have got the hobby holidays master chassis and it does a similar job by aligning the rods and wheel centres precisely in two planes ie vertically and horizontally. This makes it much easier to get a free running chassis without all the fiddling and adjusting that you are sometimes left with but you can also do this with extended axles and a sheet of plate glass.

Horses for courses I suppose and some of us do have more money than sense (and I'm probably including myself in that statement!!)

I'm sure they are very useful, this one appears to be well thought out and well made, from the photos and instructions, however, they are not vital.  

Try to read a copy of Ian Rice's book about loco chassis construction (aimed at 4mm but equally applicable to 7mm or any other scale) to understand what the necessary steps are, and you will then see how the jig can help you.

I have managed to build my locos without a proprietary jig - but you do need a flat work surface, jig axles, some springs and rubber bands, some hair clips and two straight edges which will stand up on their own - aluminium angle from B&Q will do.  The jig axles can be easily turned, or are available from various suppliers, and this little collection of tools, plus the book, is a much, much cheaper (if rather fiddly-er) route to a satisfactory loco chassis.  For the one I build each year, the jig is not a worthwhile investment.

HTH

Simon

Archived