Midland Main Line 125mph

Had a good run down from St Pancras to Nottingham on an HST. Due to work on the fast lines at the London end of the line all trains were using the slow lines until north of Elstree. The run from the stop at Luton to the stop at Bedford was superb. The train accelerated from the stop to 125, peaked briefly at 126, and held this until the slow down for the Bedford stop. we were also doing 120 through Loughborough and hit 123 before the brakes came on for East Midlands Parkway.

This was noteworthy because I was under the impression (probably mistaken) that only Meridians were allowed to use the 125 limit and that HST services were still timed for 110. The fastest I have previously seen on my GPS on an HST was 114. Do the rules still require double manning above 110 or am I out of date on that?

Great fun!

Rob

This was noteworthy because I was under the impression (probably mistaken) that only Meridians were allowed to use the 125 limit and that HST services were still timed for 110. The fastest I have previously seen on my GPS on an HST was 114. Do the rules still require double manning above 110 or am I out of date on that?

Great fun!

Rob

The speed the trains timed at, and it's permitted maximum's, not necessarily the same thing, and reference to Slow Line running earlier suggests possibly late running to recover.

A classic example was when sleepers ran on the ECML. They were timed at (I think) 80 mph, but if running late they were 100 mph stock...

Don't know specifically about MML, but ECML went total single-manning in early GNER days

Archived