HM2000 controller makes motors buzz

Hi all, Just got an HM2000 controller from ebay as new.

When applying power slowly the loco motor buzzes quite loudly but gets quieter as more power is applied.

Tried several different locos Hornby & Bachmann all were the same except some buzzed or hummed louder than others.

My old unit is an AGW twin controller dating from 1970s, when using this there is noise from loco motors now matter how slowly the power is applied.

I think i read somewhere that some controllers have feedback and tend to make motors hot when run slowly,what is feedback and does the HM2000 have this.

Can anyone help explain.

cheers

Bob

Just double check that the wiring is OK, as it could be AC not DC

I'm not certain if this unit has feedback.... IIRC it hasn't.

On the older editions of the R900 (predessor to the HM2000) there was a 1/2 wave/resistance switch.... Duettes have this too and prolonged running in the high resistance/ 1/2 wave mode would warm up the motors & produce the effects you have noted.

I'm wondering if your HM2000 is producing fully recified DC....

I am not sure if this is the same unit that Hornby provide with their trainsets but I have found that it is not preforming as it should the 12v DC uncontrolled supply was infact 12vAC this was found out because I could not get a relay to work off it, when I tested it with my fluke meter it found AC not DC.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the half wave producer (pulse power). This was used to gently knock motors around when they had too much inertia for pure DC to start. (It was a solution to the jack-rabbit start.) Some controllers were constructed so that the half wave changed to full wave as the throttle advanced but others had to be switched over.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived