Pickering Model Centre (formerly Puffers) to close

QuoitsPlayer

I always come away from a visit to the NYMR with a book or two, as you can choose from:

The ersatz WW2 period bookstall on Pickering Platform 2 - all books £1! I picked up 'Branch Lines of Oxfordshire' yesterday for a quid.

Pickering Book Shop opposite the station - railway books piled high on a table as soon as you walk in, £3 maximum.

Grosmont Book Shop - prices quite competitive but you will pay Amazon/Abebooks prices for the rarer out-of-print tomes.

Grosmont Shed Shop - a mixed bag of railway books in boxes at the far end of the shop, and occasional '£5 specials' of books worth having. 

Models along the NYMR are a bit harder to pick up now, what with the demise of Buffers. Grosmont Shed Shop used a have a great selection at competitive prices (particularly Bachmann) and had stock that had long sold out elsewhere (such as the GWR livery Hornby Hawksworth coaches) but the selection of late has shrunk and the prices are pretty daft; too high for the family day trippers and not competitive enough to meet he box shifters where the more discerning buyer is liable to go. An example? Hornby 42/52xx tanks for £120, when they have long been £80/90 elsewhere...

Dave Edge's shop at Grosmont is ok - some good used Hornby Stanier non-corridors for about £25, but the prices for boxed and unboxed older stuff (Airfix/Replica/Mainline/Older Hornby) are a bit on the high side. 

There is also TMC up the bank at Beckhole but I've personally never got around to going. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire