Hornby Terrier replacement motor

robert17649

I dont know if anyone else has had a problem with this motor. My Terrier motor committed hara kiri and died in a mass of fumes, and I have no idea why apart from its age.

I tried to find a replacement, and purchased a motor without worm gear, and tried removing the worm from the old motor, which frankly was a joke.  I needed at least 1.5 times the normal number of hands.

Trawling the net for a replacement was impossible as no one ,including East Kent had one in stock and worse, none knew when one would arrive.

Actually the solution was easy , the J94 motor and gear is identical  and many of those are available. 

Can anyone tell me why Hornby should produce two identical items with two different  service and model numbers?

Anyway the terrier has sprung back to life so all is well. I wonder how many other Hornby motors fit numerous locos, one time they was all XO4 or XO3 which was 'simples'.

best to all

robert

It's quite common practice for a manufacturer to use different part numbers for the same items in different applications; what you need is some sort of cross-referencing system. I first encountered this phenomenon when running an engineering stores; different pumps, for example, would have identical components (seals, screws etc) under different part numbers. Often, these things were 'off-the-shelf' items, available from our local engineer's suppliers; having checked which ones were 'common-user', I rationalised the stock, saved money, and got brownie points from my boss . Later, I worked in a motor-factors, where I found similar commonality; our most useful sources of information were the various books listing proprietary equivalents to 'original equipment'. The same brake shoe was used across a broad range of vehicles, often from different manufacturers; I recollect discovering that the Morris 1000 shared much of its braking system with a 3-tonne milk float..

Archived