The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Happy 350th Birthday

BlackRat

On this day, exactly 350 years ago, the Duke of York and Albany raised a small group of well trained and dedicated men to serve upon ships of The Kings Royal Navy.

From those small and humble beginnings, grew the Corps of Royal Marines, and from that day forth, the Royal Marines have taken part in every major conflict since.

The Royal Marines have no battle honours on their colours, having been granted the Globe as their battle honour having served in conflict throughout the world.

Since 1945 the Royal Marines have become Britain's Commando force, with recruits having to undergo the longest and most arduous military training in the world.

I am proud to have played a small part, making history as opposed to reading about it.

To my brother Marines, current and past,

Per Mare Per Terram!

And happy birthday!

• RMweb Premium

We're British, rather than parades, media coverage, national celebrations etc etc we'll ignore it, after all overt displays of emotion and/or pride are just so vulgar and not the sort of thing to be encouraged at all.

Per Mare Per Terram!

And happy birthday!

Indeed. Huzzah!

On this day, exactly 350 years ago,

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

the Duke of York and Albany

The one that the city, state and capital city of New York are named for?

Archived