Newbie needs a simple loco for testing

Pete M

Hi all,

First post for me in this section. I am ordering some track components, jigs, etc., from the 2mm Association and need suggestions for a simple r-t-r loco to convert as a test mule. I am setting my time zone around 1960 ex-GNR line in the North London area, so something like an early diesel suitable to that time/area would be first choice. I am reading all the relevant stuff in the Association handbook, but as 2mm is a new venture for me, any other words of wisdom will be gratefully received!

Thanks in anticipation,

Pete Morris.

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the world of 2mm

I would suggest getting a Graham Farish class 24 ( a green one) and then buying the drop in wheel sets from the association shop

It will take you less than five minutes to pop the ngauge wheels out and drop the 2mm ones in

And after that you will have a very nice smooth running loco that was found in the time and place you wish to model.

Good luck with your 2mm modelling

Stuart

Although not the most appropriate diesels for a 1960s ex-GNR line north of London, class 20 and class 24 locos would certainly be possibles, readily available secondhand and with drop-in wheel sets available for conversion to 2FS.

I've just converted my first a farish 37 piece of cake

John

I wasn't saying the Class 37 (or any other diesel from the Graham Farish range) is not a simple conversion; it's just that this is a Co'Co' so 12 wheels to replace instead of 8 which means it takes a bit longer and is 1/3 more expensive :)

• RMweb Premium

I am not quite sure which early diesels were used on ex GNR lines, but of all those availabe RTR given the choice I'd go for one of the latest DCC Farish chassis designs, either the 20, 24, or 25 in green, whichever you feel may be more appropriate, and using drop-in wheels for conversion - a 10 minute job on average. Their performance is probably the best you can get out of the box and will help set the standard for other locos to match.

Izzy

I think that a class 24 is a reasonable choice - they seem to pop up in all sorts of places (including the Southern of all places) during their early career. I had a quick look through the more likely of my books and found a photo in 'Diesel Heyday' of D5056 at Moorgate on the 09:12 from Barnet via Kings Cross.

Another option that crops up in the same book is a peak - also available from Farish but that's twice as many axles and in my experience the road holding (i.e. staying on the track) of the 8 wheeled bogie on this monster is not the best.

I'd go for a nice class 24 sans any yellow bits if I were you. The only downside is that every other 2mm layout seems to have one.

Regards, Andy

The diesel loco classes likely to be seen on an ex-GNR line in north London c1960 were (using their later TOPS classifications):

15 (and to a lesser extent the similar 16), 20, 23 (Baby Deltic), 24, 26, 37, 47 and 55, plus, of course, the ubiquitous 08.

The 15, 16 and 20 were principally freight locos, the 23 and 26 local passenger, the 24 multi-purpose and the 37, 47 and 55 express passenger.

Thanks very much for all your replies.

I'm not going to try a 'Copenhagen Fields', but I was brought up in Harringay in the fifties and sixties and as I spent a lot of my time on the 'Hogs Back', I would like to see some of the locos that I remember from those days on a layout. All those mentioned I remember well, also lots of 31's, N2's, J50's, J94's, not to mention all the larger hardware, but I don't think what I have in mind will accomodate Pacifics! If I become clever enough to build one I suppose I could squeeze a B1 in...  

Thanks again. 

Archived