Diagram or photo of empty Johnson Class 3F

I've had the Bachman Class 3F (31-626A) for a little while and it's a good little loco. However I've never been fond of the "coal" in the bunker so I'm finally getting around to improving the model with some real coal. Because of how it's been modelled I need to cut the top off and model the bunker itself. Is anyone aware of any good photos from above (or a diag?) of a prototype with an empty or relatively empty bunker?

Marcus.

The Roche drawings are fairly readily found. While these are notorious for their 'deviations', in respect of the bunker coal slide they do match photos decently.

Gonna have a grumble while we are on this topic. Am I the only person ticked off by the frequent loss of a properly modelled bunker, sacrificed for the minority fad of sound effects in the tender?

Interesting! Thankyou -I was not aware of the book - although this listing: http://www.slightlybetterbooks.com/modelrailways-planbooks.html#historiclocomotivedrawingsin4mm suggests the 3F 0-6-0 isn't in it, still looks like the sort of book that deserves to be on my shelf!

I agree totally with your grumble based on my experience last night when I had a poke around inside - because the DCC chip socket is in the tender there's no where near enough room to model and empty bunker. I moved the socket down as much as I could and managed to create enough of a well to put in a satisfying pile (see here:

But it would have been very tricky and required a complete rewiring to get the room to run bunker empty.

Marcus.

Archived