Evercreech Junction

If you can, take a look please at the ‘Control Diagram’ plan for Evercreech Jcn in the Middleton Press books and/or the track plan of the Junction in Judge & Potts.

No 1 Siding trailed off the Highbridge end of the Down Branch line at point 8 and ran back parallel to the single-line of the Branch. There was a trap-point 9 at the exit from this siding. A second siding (marked as ‘loop’ on the Control Diagram) trailed off the Down Branch much closer to the signal-box at point 10 and then ran back parallel to No 1 Siding for some distance before fanning-out into 4 (?) more sidings. There was also a connection (by hand points) between this siding and No 1 Siding some distance away from trap-point 9 (541’ according to the CD).

The signal diagram supplied in J&P, and another drawing from the same source dated ‘1950’, suggest that the point-work for the ‘fan’ of sidings had been moved much closer to the signal-box, with trap-point 9 now forming part of the connection between No 1 Siding and the ‘loop’ siding, but I can find no supporting evidence for this. Unfortunately the OS maps on ‘old-maps’ for this part of the Junction don’t seem to have been updated since before the New Yard was built and photographic coverage of that particular area is poor:-(

Does anyone have a 1950s-era scale track plan please, or can advise further on this matter?

..and another question, regarding the 'Harris & Co' slaughterhouse siding, which trailed off the Down Main just on the junction side of the station. This was added in 1900, but does anyone know please when it was taken out of use? It appears to have gone at some date between 1930 and 1949.

A very valid suggestion, but my concern is to establish whether in fact any such alteration did indeed take place. So far I have found nothing to prove it, but a couple of circumstantial items which tend to disprove it.... :scratchhead:

Archived