WAGR/Westrail D Class Diesel in Sn3.5 Scale

I have just finished the 3D design for the body of my D class loco and ordered a test print from i.Materialise in Prime Gray.  Cost just over 100 Euros.

I finished the underframe and fuel tank last Monday and they are already on order.  The drive components are also on order from Hollywood Foundry, although I had to order the wheels separately from NorthYard in New Zealand to get the correct wheel size.  Hollywood Foundry will assemble the mechanism for me using the NorthYard wheels.

So far it has taken about 12 days, 4-5 hours per day to do the 3D design.  Next job is to design the bogies which are 6-wheel Flexicoil style.  

The prototype loco was introduced in 1971 and is basically a lightweight, narrow gauge version of an SD38.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGR_D_class_(diesel) for some prototype info.  There is also a similar DA Class which doesn't have dynamic brakes (the angled vents on the short hood) and has a smaller fuel tank).  The D class was intended for heavy mineral trains (mainly bauxite) while the DA is a general traffic loco which is also lighter overall to give wider route availability.  I plan to do the DA version as well in due course.  The loco is designed for sound and a suitable Tsunami decoder is available - EMD645 Non-Turbo.

This loco is 276 mm long over the cowcatchers, so the STL file was rotated 45 degrees around the vertical axis to fit within the maximum print size for Prime Gray.

post-17456-0-04297200-1415437282_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-25911300-1415437285_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have received all the 3D printed parts and custom mechanism for my WAGR/Westrail D Class diesel and put together the test model. It runs very well, partly due to the addition of 400 grams of lead, and will soon be getting a coat of paint or two (green).  A friend is producing the decals for the red & yellow stripes to finish off the "as delivered" livery.  The design requires a few tweaks but I am very pleased with it overall.  I have also completed the design for the similar DA class, which lacks the dynamic brake intakes and fan on the short hood, and has a smaller fuel tank.  Next stage is to undertake some further changes to represent locos which were modernised circa 1999.

post-17456-0-40563400-1417002850_thumb.jpg

post-17456-0-56290400-1417002865_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike and Jeff

I am doing a few tweaks but it has worked out pretty well for the first attempt.  It has 400 grams of lead inside it so it runs well and has good hauling power, even with only one driven bogie (12-wheel drive is optional).  The single bogie drive leaves the cab free for future detailing, although the drive shaft is pretty low down anyway and doesn't intrude much into the cab if both bogies are driven.

Archived