Gauge 0 Guild

Bluebell

When I changed to modelling in 7mm I joined the Gauge 0 Guild despite warnings that it was quite elitist.

Now quite some years later and having observed how the Guild operates I am disappointed to find the warnings bore some substance.

The Guild appears to me to be run by wealthy old men for the benefit of wealthy man. This seems borne out by the fact that the Guild is sitting on some $500,000 of cash funds and their wanting to spend $15,000 on bringing to the UK from Australia to England for a two day exhibition likely to be attended by fewer than 2,000 members.

The Guild appears happy to be populated by oldies with no room or younger members, for newer technologies and an unwillingness to share their exhibition with other gauges.

Some of the longer serving members now seem to be deserting what some see as a sinking ship and with a lifetime of less than 20 years.

Fortunately BRM offers a warm and friendly welcome to all ages and all gauges.

When I changed to modelling in 7mm I joined the Gauge 1 Guild despite warnings that it was quite elitist.

Now quite some years later and having observed how the Guild operates I am disappointed to find the warnings bore some substance.

The Guild appears to me to be run by wealthy old men for the benefit of wealthy man. This seems borne out by the fact that the Guild is sitting on some $500,000 of cash funds and their wanting to spend $15,000 on bringing to the UK from Australia to England for a two day exhibition likely to be attended by fewer than 2,000 members.

The Guild appears happy to be populated by oldies with no room or younger members, for newer technologies and an unwillingness to share their exhibition with other gauges.

Some of the longer serving members now seem to be deserting what some see as a sinking ship and with a lifetime of less than 20 years.

Well thank goodness I am in the "O" Gauge Guild instead of the Gauge 1 Guild :O :stinker: .

When I changed to modelling in 7mm I joined the Gauge 1 Guild despite warnings that it was quite elitist.

How on earth has a model railway society managed to amass half a million quid? :unknw_mini:

Cheers

Tom

When I changed to modelling in 7mm I joined the Gauge 0 Guild despite warnings that it was quite elitist.

Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Martyn.

Hi Bluebell

Sorry I have to disagree, all the GOG members I have met have been more than helpful and far from elitist  to someone coming new into 7mm scale.

Ian

Well surprise, surprise, here we go again. Elitist, wealthy, old men benefiting old men, too much money ( read the reasons in the accounts). Australian layout possibly coming to England

in 2016  in the main funded by the Australian members themselves supported by voluntary contributions from Guild members. One member suggested a lifetime of less than 20years . been there, done that.got the T shirt. I might be in my 70's but, using current technology capable of producing 3D animation on my PC. So as far as I'm concerned even if I upset the mods. GET A LIFE.

• RMweb Premium

The full accounts are on the Guild website. For the financial year ending 28th Feb 2014 the Guild had an income of £261,604 and expenditure of £263,522 and so it actually made a loss on its activities for the year. Retained surplus was £181,962 - nothing like the figure you are quoting.

The Gazette, an excellent magazine for the 7mm modeller, costs £84000 to produce against an advertising income of £33,000. Organising three major exhibitions cost £107,000 against an income of £69,000 with subsidised admission for members.

Bringing the layout from Australia is just a proposal for the Guild's 60th anniversary, at a maximum cost of £5000 with the operators all paying for their own expenses. It is hoped that sponsorship and donations will cover some (or even all) of the costs.

You have every right to be critical of the Guild but first you need to get your facts right.

• RMweb Premium

It has about £250,000 or so – he's converting that to AUS$, which points to where he's from.

A prominent Australian Guild member resigned this morning...

Crossed with my post - I know who you mean but the reason given was that he disagreed with something on the Guild Forum - in fact he said in his very public resignation

I always thought it was an honour to belong to the Guild

Very sad times - for RMweb getting dragged into this, the Guild for loosing a well known and respected member (who I have met at Telford the last two years) and I feel sorry that he has made the decision to resign.

The Gazette, an excellent magazine for the 7mm modeller, costs £84000 to produce against an advertising income of £33,000.

Just to echo this, the magazine is very good (far better than any other club magazines for various non model clubs I am in). To me either it or the cheaper entrance to shows would make the membership worthwhile on their own, let alone combined.

All the best

Keith

Well guys, I've been a member for 39 years so have contributed a fair chunk of the retained surplus. Worth every penny. And are they elitist? Don't think so, they are willing to have my Spur Null layout at Guildex.

Bill

I am a new convert to o gauge and have found a great friendship with other members at exhibitions and meetings. I find being a Guild member to be very helpful, the Gazette i look forward to with most interesting articles and reviews. Granted after being a oo modeller for some years i find there is not the same availabilty of products.The reason for me joining the Guild was at an o gauge exhibition a senior Guid member spoke to me without prompting, best decision i have made.

Donald

I'm not going to have anything to do with the debate for or against the Gauge O Guild.

But what really annoys me it this type of behaviour. "Bluebell" joined RMWeb yesterday and their first topic is to bitch and moan. After writing this post I will be reporting the opening post to the Mods. I enjoy RMWeb for the friendly atmosphere. I don't expect or want to end up reading someone's inaccurate and pathetic agenda.

I'm not going to have anything to do with the debate for or against the Gauge O Guild.

But what really annoys me it this type of behaviour. "Bluebell" joined RMWeb yesterday and their first topic is to bitch and moan. After writing this post I will be reporting the opening post to the Mods. I enjoy RMWeb for the friendly atmosphere. I don't expect or want to end up reading someone's inaccurate and pathetic agenda.

You beat me to it - just going to say the same thing. I would be the first to criticise the Guild but they are slowly moving in the right direction and should be given due credit for doing so. There are clear channels within the guild for raising these issues and if you don't don't like them then I consider it bad form to go squealing about it on other forums. First they should get their facts right but even then it's the spiteful comments like this that drive the decent people away from the forums.

From my point of view I have never found the Guild elitist, they have always been very welcome to all, I don't attend the Guild show, I don't use any of their services but IMHO the gazette is a superb publication and that alone justifies the price of membership. If you want to instigate change then they will more than welcome any and all volunteers who want to put themselves up for nominations. Start there rather than here.

Archived