Locomotive Conditions Late 1940s

Hi All,

I would like to know people's thoughts on the condition of locomotives post WWII around 1947, thinking more of the mainline locos, eg Castles. Would all/some of them have received a repaint/cleaning up by then, or would they still be looking the worse for wear?

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

I would like to know people's thoughts on the condition of locomotives post WWII around 1947, thinking more of the mainline locos, eg Castles. Would all/some of them have received a repaint/cleaning up by then, or would they still be looking the worse for wear?

Regards,

Mark

Definitely repaints going on but - to some extent depending on their home shed - contemporaneous photos show an awful lot of distinctly grubby looking GWR engines, including those in post-war livery.

Hi All,

Regards,

Mark

As the Stationmaster has said locos ex works would apear pristine. Sadly in a world of full employment getting staff for cleaning locos was in many areas dificult. My overriding memories of 1950s and 60s steam was all over grey ash colour with just the cabside number given a wipe over. This was probably not universal as some depots still managed to clean front line locos. 

Archived