GF class 4 drive problem

mikes rail

• RMweb Gold

Good evening

As a start towards building a test track I have been ordering track etc and decided to use a GF class 4 shunter I have as my test engine. Having had the wheels turned and gauged ( great service by the way) I having serviced and reassembled the loco but on running it has developed a wobble . I have been over the loco and can not see why this is, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Good evening

As a start towards building a test track I have been ordering track etc and decided to use a GF class 4 shunter I have as my test engine. Having had the wheels turned and gauged ( great service by the way) I having serviced and reassembled the loco but on running it has developed a wobble . I have been over the loco and can not see why this is, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

this post led me to revisit my own class 4  which has wheels turned by Gordon.  This I was complaining bitterly about a few weeks back to Martins whose own version performed fine at the AGM.  I found the wheels where not set true to gauge and the quartering was nearer 180 than 90. I  resolved this last night and added thread lock to 4 wheels.  Just reassembled and quartered again the remaining 2 wheels.  Its bare chassis  is now shuttling up and down my shuttle track quite happily. :sungum:

Conclusion check the quartering and back to back hope it helps fix yours

Nick 

now to attack the numerous other half finished projects...................... :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the help one and all. After a number of strip downs (shunter that is) twicks to the quartering easing the coupling rods very a little it is now running quite well only job now is to work out were one of the guard irons have gone while it was in bits, oh well!

Mike

Archived