Slaters 0-4-0 Caledonian pug kit help

freightmaster

I'm currently mid build of one of these kits, but I've hit a problem with the cylinders, they appear to be to wide..... the center line of the cylinders seems to be approximately 2mm to far out on both sides, there is a hole in the guide bar bracket to receive the end of the cast guide bar and this appears to be correctly positioned in relation to the wheels, coupling rods etc. But the cylinder won't line up!

Has anyone encountered this?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Tristan

Hi Tristan,

I built one of these about ten years ago and it was only my second build,but I don't recall any problems with it apart from the plunger pick ups which locked the wheels solid.

I just used wipers on it and it has been a really sweet running loco with the aid of a tender for extra pick up.

I hope you solve the problem because they are great wee engines.

Regards Alistair.

Thanks for the reply Alistair, i haven't fitted the plunger pickups yet..... so I'll see how they are. I don't think they have made any changes to the kit so maybe I'm missing something! I'm going by the hole in the guide bar bracket but I'm sure that is correct as the crank pins would be to short if I go with the cylinder centers as is, I fear I am going to have to make new cylinders from scratch.....

Tristan

• RMweb Premium

Its worth seeking out a previous report of a build of this kit a few years back, either on Rmweb or G0G forum, it reported problems with the motion fouling the motion bracket which may relate to the same design flaw

My kit remains unbuilt as I have it in the 'difficult' (for me) category

Dava

Yes I'll have a look and see if I can find it, I have already had to cut away a small amount of the guide bar bracket to clear the coupling rods, it's been far from a straight forward build and I'm not out of the woods yet, I have to say I'm somewhat surprised by the issues with this kit. I have built several of Slaters wagon kits and they have always been such a joy to build......

Tristan

Archived