"Hobbs Quarries" - ex-Iron Ore Tipplers

br2975

I've recently had sight of a photograph showing a train of BR Iron Ore Tipplers arriving at Jersey Marine on a Craig-Y-Nos to BSC Spencer Works,  Llanwern working. The photo was taken in 1970 and is haued by (D)6606.

The 4th and 6th wagon in the train have large white rectangles on the centre side panels covering the 'IRON ORE TIPPLER' or 'CHALK TIPPLER' lettering.

The photographer, Ray Evans, tells me the white panel carried the inscription "HOBBS" of the words  "QUARRIES ????". 

Does anyone have knowledge of any published photos, or any t'internet sites where such wagons are illustrated ?

Thanks

Brian R

Hi Brian,

Sadly not! But in 1970 Hobbs had just started using rail again after a year or so of inactivity - I wonder if they had applied vinyls to their first train as a bit of publicity? Unfortuntately all the pictures I've seen of trains from the quarry have been at angles that don't show much of the wagon sides. Some of the tipplers working out of Cefn Coed at Merthyr in limestone traffic were branded but only in the usual way on small black panels.

Intriguing!

Hope that new shed is filling up nicely?!

Hywel

Was this about the time the quarry at Craig-y-Nos was supplying material for the breakwater at Port Talbot?

Late 60s early 70s maybe - but I seem to recall the breakwater trains were composed of Plates (?) and came from the Peak District (?).

The tipplers in question appear to be loaded with much smaller stuff.

It could be intended as some form of blinding to infill the voids created by the larger rocks of the breakwater - but I doubt it.

It could be intended as a flux, again, I'm not sure. 

Anyway, I've sent you a PM with a copy of the photo attached - please don't be confused as I'm at a loss how to edit a  previously sent RMweb PM then forward it to an additional member......... so you may find you are now called Hywel !!!!!!!

Brian R

Archived