Guest nzflyer

Guest nzflyer

Hello all  :help:

I need help with the Hornby International website. I am looking at the Jouef and Electrotren ranges and beneath each model is the features of each model which also includes the period...which happens to be in Roman numerals. Not that I can't work out basic math, but it doesn't give me an exact year or era for each model. I was looking for 1930s/1940s model railway wagons and I can't tell if the number 'III' is the earliest that it goes to or if it is 'IV' etc etc  :dontknow: *sigh* I am feeling quite flustered with my problem! If anyone at all can help it would be much appreciated  :thankyou:

I think all of the European stuff uses Epochs like the UK uses Eras

Theres some detail on this site.

http://www.brawa.de/en/brand-identity/epochs/epochs-detail.html

Ehattons also have the Epochs if you look above the pics it gives dates for example here are Liliput coaches and you can filter by Epoch (Era)

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/1000401/1000591/1000636/0/Liliput_HO_Gauge_1_87_Scale_Coaches/prodlist.aspx

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Almost any catalogue from a European manufacturer will have details of the eras, but roughly speaking

Era I = Pre WW1

Era II = end of WW1 up to end of WW2

Era III = end of WW2 up to introduction of computer numbering

Era IV = introduction of computer numbering up to German reunification.

I'm not sure of the exact dividing line between era V and VI — I think era VI is the era of privatization.

Although it is often applied to other countries, the system is German in origin.

Hello all  :help:

I need help with the Hornby International website. I am looking at the Jouef and Electrotren ranges and beneath each model is the features of each model which also includes the period...which happens to be in Roman numerals. Not that I can't work out basic math, but it doesn't give me an exact year or era for each model. I was looking for 1930s/1940s model railway wagons and I can't tell if the number 'III' is the earliest that it goes to or if it is 'IV' etc etc  :dontknow: *sigh* I am feeling quite flustered with my problem! If anyone at all can help it would be much appreciated  :thankyou:

Although there are people who will tell you that the era system helps the newcomer it was devised in Germany to spare the blushes of those who would have to admit to modelling Nazi era railways (era 2) and is actually there to hide the truth.. No need to feel flustered - the obscurity is deliberate.

Archived