Easy To Use (!) Drawing Software For Photo Etching

I'm hoping to design some photo etch artwork for some 16mm scale projects - window frames/strapping/signs/etc and was wondering if the forum could recommend a fairly easy to use programme. I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I'd be interested in your views.

I've tried using Corel Draw and Autocad (via my son who uses them at University) but I'm struggling a bit...! The only other drawing software I've used is Sketchup, which I really like, but doesn't produce files that the etchers,  PPD like. 

Thanks for any help or advice.

I'm hoping to design some photo etch artwork for some 16mm scale projects - window frames/strapping/signs/etc and was wondering if the forum could recommend a fairly easy to use programme. I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I'd be interested in your views.

I've tried using Corel Draw and Autocad (via my son who uses them at University) but I'm struggling a bit...! The only other drawing software I've used is Sketchup, which I really like, but doesn't produce files that the etchers,  PPD like. 

John,

I would stick with a CAD program if you want to get photo tools that are accurate.  It can be a pretty steep learning curve but it will be woirth it in the end. :-)   If you have some experience of AutoCAD then you might want to look at Draftsight,  which is a free 2D CAD program which can be downloaded.  It is a very close clone of AutoCAD LT.

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/

I also use CorelDraw,  but not for CAD work.  I know that some people do CAD work on it,  but I would much prefer a good 2D CAD program if I wanted good and accurate drawings for etching.

Jim.

I still use TurboCAD 12 Professional. It's old, but has no issues with artwork for PPD so far (other than cock ups of my own making!). I have tried a couple of more modern free CAD programs, Draftsight may have been one of them, but all were so slow I gave up with them, not to mention totally non intuitive. 

I would suggest QCAD.

I find it simple to use and it's free.http://www.qcad.org/en/ . I have used it for generating artwork and PPD accepted it without any problems.

I have even started do a few video guides specifically for using it to generate artwork for etching.

eg

http://youtu.be/ff-bbx_-vt0

More listed over on Western Thunder if it helps

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/qcad-getting-started-guides.3454/

I really must get the final few produced.

I would suggest QCAD.

I find it simple to use and it's free.http://www.qcad.org/en/ . I have used it for generating artwork and PPD accepted it without any problems.

I have even started do a few video guides specifically for using it to generate artwork for etching.

eg

http://youtu.be/ff-bbx_-vt0

More listed over on Western Thunder if it helps

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/qcad-getting-started-guides.3454/

I really must get the final few produced.

Are keyboard shortcuts implemented? I've used AutoCAD from R13 to 2004 and struggled to find a replacement at a price point I'm happy with (don't necessarily expect free) that has keyboard shortcuts implemented as AutoCAD does them. Trying to work without them is a long-winded and a PITA. A9CAD is close but you have to click into the command bar at the bottom before it will take the shortcuts (and not all are implemented), which kind of defeats the object.

Are keyboard shortcuts implemented? I've used AutoCAD from R13 to 2004 and struggled to find a replacement at a price point I'm happy with (don't necessarily expect free) that has keyboard shortcuts implemented as AutoCAD does them. Trying to work without them is a long-winded and a PITA. A9CAD is close but you have to click into the command bar at the bottom before it will take the shortcuts (and not all are implemented), which kind of defeats the object.

Hi, yes QCAD has keyboard shortcuts implemented for virtually all operations, the key combination is often shown in the brackets and is fairly intuitive, so to set snap to grid is 'S G', and no you don't need to have command line focus for them to work.

post-91-0-75969700-1417181523.png

Command line focus also has a shortcut! So press the space bar and it will set focus to the command line. So entering data points is a quick tap on the space bar and then enter the numbers.

Is it not worth having a look at ebay for second hand copy of some thing like 2000LT it predates internet registration locks so as long as you have someone selling an old copy with a key you should be fine. It will do everything you want and are used too?

I would suggest QCAD.

Thanks very much for pointing me to QCAD Adrian and for posting your excellent, easy to understand tutorial videos on Youtube. Within a relatively short space of time I have actually been able to draw something worthwhile!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm struggling to find how to find/use a 'fill' function to block in black or half etch red areas - is there an easy way? 

Thanks again.

Is it not worth having a look at ebay for second hand copy of some thing like 2000LT it predates internet registration locks so as long as you have someone selling an old copy with a key you should be fine. It will do everything you want and are used too?

I have a computer with a clean Win2000 install that just runs AutoCAD2000. One day the hardware will die and it won't install on anything too new - Windows 7 won't install it, for example - so I'll be stuck. Electronic components have a variable finite life and this kind of computer will, I think, have served most of that life.

Thanks very much for pointing me to QCAD Adrian and for posting your excellent, easy to understand tutorial videos on Youtube. Within a relatively short space of time I have actually been able to draw something worthwhile!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm struggling to find how to find/use a 'fill' function to block in black or half etch red areas - is there an easy way? 

Thanks again.

Hi,

Spurred on by the interest in my videos I have just posted another couple of videos which deals specifically with filling in the areas, in QCAD you are basically hatching in with a solid colour.

The first one is the straight run through to fill in.

However as I'd done it a few times before I just ploughed through the task and it worked first time for me as I knew what I was doing ( I think!!). However there are a couple of pitfalls which may catch out people trying it for the first time so there is an update with a few tips on how trouble shoot hatch fill if you are struggling.

I hope these help - if not then please let me know and I'll try to see what the problem is.

I have a computer with a clean Win2000 install that just runs AutoCAD2000. One day the hardware will die and it won't install on anything too new - Windows 7 won't install it, for example - so I'll be stuck. Electronic components have a variable finite life and this kind of computer will, I think, have served most of that life.

Yes it will, get a computer with powerful enough capacity (ie decent processor (AMD not Intel!) and a goodly amount of RAM, say 8Gb), download Oracle Virtualbox which is free virtual PC hosting software, install virtualbox, build yourself a Windows 2000 or even XP virtual computer and install AutoCAD2000. Easy!

Phil

I hope it is that easy I have never really moved on from 2000lt, it does everything I need and although I have later versions of autocad at work I often do most work on 2000 as I find it much more user friendly than later revisions. just had my desk top that was running vista, power supply die and worse still it's killed the hard drive, have a friend rebuilding it but now need to find all my software to put back on it, until then I am reliant on an old lap top to design on.

Yes it will, get a computer with powerful enough capacity (ie decent processor (AMD not Intel!) and a goodly amount of RAM, say 8Gb), download Oracle Virtualbox which is free virtual PC hosting software, install virtualbox, build yourself a Windows 2000 or even XP virtual computer and install AutoCAD2000. Easy!

Phil

Sounds easy but is not a solution that I will live with. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I and many others use design-cad  http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/DesignCAD  .It's now owned by the same folk as turbocad, has been around for years, originally named 'pro-design'. Most likely the 2d version would do for etches. I've the 3d version, but normally only use it in 2d. You can configure keyboard shortcuts in more or less any way you like. There used to be, not sure if still there, a very good forum, plenty of help, if needed. You will only use a very small subset of its capabilities if doing drawings for etches.

Best wishes,

Ray

Archived